Chapter 6 We Must Rebuild

Grif: They destroyed it all, Simmons, those damn stupid bastards. They blew it all up! Damn them! Damn then to hell! Those damn dirty apes!

They were still in the ruin like area. Ruby, Tucker, Grif, and Simmons were all doing what they do best, standing there and talking.

Simmons: Calm down Grif, we don't know that the whole world is like this.

Grif: Yes it is, they destroyed it all. I guess the society of men just wasn't meant to survive.

Simmons: Hey how 'bout this, how 'bout we explore, more than two square miles, before we jump to any conclusions.

Grif: It was definitely nuclear weapons, that's what did it. And the explosions caused massive power outages which caused the failsafe to fail, which released super bacteria from a super secret lab.

Simmons: Oh, come on.

Grif: That caused a huge plague, and all the vitcims died, they rose from the dead twelve hours later roam the Earth and feast on human flesh.

Ruby: We don't even know if we're on Earth. Heck, for all we know, this is just how the whole planet is.

Grif ignored him and continued.

Grif: A handful of gritty survivors from all walks of life were able to keep the legions of the the infected radioactive undead at bay, using only their wits, and an inexplicable comprehension of agricultural science and engineering. Everything was looking good. . . and that's when a meteor hit.

Simmons: I think you just quoted every crappy Hollywood apocalypse movie ever.

Tucker: Nah, Hollywood doesn't understand apocalypse. They think that just one thing from everyday life goes away and that changes everything. Like in Road Warrior it was gas, and in Waterworld it was land.

Simmons: What went away in The Matrix?

Tucker: Sunlight.

Ruby: I don't know what the heck you guys are talking about. Remember, I don't have memories. I can only download games into my visor, not movies.

Grif: Don't worry, the missing element in most of them was plot.

Tucker: I'm talking about Matrix One.

Simmons: Oh right.

Grif: Face it Simmons, the age of man is done.

Simmons: If all that happened, then where are the zombies? Why aren't they all still around?

Grif: The meteor killed them!

Simmons: And what about the super bacteria?

Grif: It was infected by alien bacteria brought by the meteor, and was wiped out in a massive bacteria on bacteria plague, very ironic.

Simmons: Okay, then why haven't been infected by the new alien bacteria?

Grif: It only infects other bacteria. Are you even listening to me?

Tucker: Do you guys ever get anything down, or do you just stand around and talk all day?

Ruby: I've already gotten a decent feel for the area, but for these two. . . That sounds about right.

Grif: We don't get paid enough to do stuff.

Tucker: But what about Church, idiot? How're we gonna get him from the past to the future?

Ruby: We did not time travel!

Grif: I guess we'll just wait.

Tucker: But when he gets to the present, he'll just be destroyed like everything else.

Ruby: First off, we still did not time travel. Second, that's not how time works. Sidewinder is now the past, and where we are now is the present!

Simmons: But the present is gone.

Ruby: Oh my god.

Suddenly Sarge arrived.

Sarge: Simmons, Grif, Ruby, get your keesters over here.

Ruby: No can do, I have to make sure an annoying bounty hunter doesn't kill Tucker.

Sarge: Huh. . . Grif, Simmons get over here!

Grif: Yes sir. . . .

As the two left, Tucker turned to her.

Tucker: Aw, you do care.

Ruby: I just wanted an excuse to not be near him. I'm still mad, and I don't want to accidentally stop his heart with an electric shock.

Tucker: Oh. . . Damn it.

Ruby was lucky she was wearing a helmet. The smile that spread across her lips was a bit wider than usual.

*With The Others*

Caboose: Look what I found.

Donut: I found it!

Caboose: Look at what I took credit for finding.

The two stood in front of a Warthog.

Sarge: A-mazing that these two actually accomplished something.

Grif: It looks like some kind of alien transport mechanism that could be used to-

Simmons: Or it's a jeep.

Grif: You have no imagination.

Sarge: Hmm, let me see if I can get this thing working.

Simmons: How? There's no parts. And what're you gonna use for fuel?

Sarge: Grif was right Simmons, you don't have any imagination.

Grif: Thank you sir.

Sarge: Shut up scumbag, we're not having a moment.

Tucker and Ruby arrived.

Ruby: Why'd you have to walk here. . .?

Tucker: Hey, We need to find Church.

Sarge: He's dead son, why haven't you given up hope yet and moved on?

Tucker: It's only been a couple of hours.

Ruby: That guy's a ghost too.

Sarge: Well, this should make you feel better. When his body blasted into smithereens, at least he took all our enemies with him.

Tucker turned to his bodyguard.

Tucker: I can see why you're mad at him.

*Elsewhere*

On a shore, the head of a certain robot was still functional.

Lopez: (Spanish) Warning, error, error. Warning, error, error. I cannot feel my. . . body.

A purple set of armor stood next to him.

O'Malley: Don't worry my metallic friend. You'll be up and running about in no time! Muhahahahaha! Muhhhh-hahaha-heh! U-ha! Haw. Ha-ha. Ungh. Hah!