-19-

I fold up the paper and take up my bow again. I have written for her to come over to the cave so we can talk, now that she's back. As I'm walking through the forest, I bypass the tree, instead taking the note to her house. I sneak back to the border of the forest, careful to stay in the shadows.

Across the path, I can see Addison talking to the Chief, his back facing me. They both seem kind of troubled. She nods, and for a split second, she catches my eye. The barest hint of a smile plays on her lips, trying not to give away my position. They finish up the conversation with a nod to each other, and she slowly makes her way to her house. Before she opens the door, she looks back at me and smiles. Then she disappears into her house.

She'll come back around through the back door! I think. Guess there's no need for a note when I can talk to her myself!

I back into the trees again. A minute later, I hear her footsteps coming closer to me. When she comes into view, I urge her, "Come!" She smiles and follows me through the trees.

Immediately, she starts talking, and I don't stop her.

"Oh, Kalaya, how long has it been?" She exclaims once we're out of earshot from the village.

"Too long! So much has changed!" Though I am happy to have her back, the reason is not too great.

"Yes, lots." When she looks at me, her eyes are sad. "How have you been? Exiled out of the village, the war coming so soon, and no one to help you!" She shakes her head. "Though I doubt you are doing badly." She looks on, knowingly.

She's known me for basically my whole life, and I know she knows I can live without anyone's help. I frequently escaped to the woods, even when I was accepted in the village.

"So, what's been going on with you? What have you been doing?" I ask my friend.

Addison's eyes light up. "Well, after I was sent to the other village, I spent a little bit of time there, gathering the normal recourses and such. Then, after a few days, I got a letter from our Chief saying there was going to be a war on our land, and we would be needing some more gear and equipment. So, after a few meetings and some gathering of information, I got the things we need for the war. However, it probably won't be enough, but . . . I guess we'll just have to wait and see."

I sigh. "Probably won't have to wait very long."

Addison nods. Then she smiles again. "I did get this really cool sword, though."

Intrigued, I watch her pull a sword from the sheath at her hip. The blade is made of a metal so shiny; I'm blinded from a single glance. The edges are sharp as ever, I could see that from a mile away. Addison holds the sword with pride, and I beam back at her.

"Wow!" I say. "That's a sword to remember!"

She laughs. "Do you wanna hold it?"

I nod excitedly and she holds it out to me. Though it looks like it's heavy, the material is lighter than I've ever felt before. I swing it around, using some of the moves I have learned just the night before.

Addison notices the new movements. "Could you do that before?" She asks.

I hand her the sword back. "I wanted to take some lessons in sword fighting for the war, so I asked a friend," I say the word 'friend' without even thinking. Torsten could kind of be my friend. He is certainly keeping my secrets, "to be my mentor." I finish.

She looks even more confused. "What friend?" She asks as she sheaths her sword.

"I guess you could say he's a friend. His name is Torsten, his mother is Mary. His family has been letting me stay in their house for a little while. He was the one who gave me sword fighting lessons, along with someone named Reidar." I beckon her to my cave. On the floor is my sword and bow. The knives are still hooked on my belt. I take out every piece of weapon I have and lay it on the ground in front of us. My sword, my bow and quiver, all my knives. Looking down on it now, it feels a bit overwhelming!

Addison looks over all that I have. "Wow. This is a lot." I nod in agreement. "Who gave you all this?"

"It's all from the weapons shack in the Loop, but Torsten and Reidar helped me find the right size." I pick up the sword and give it a onceover. "I was also fitted with a shield as well. We did a little practicing last night."

"Wouldn't you be spotted in the Loop with so many people training there?" Addison asks.

"We trained at night, when there were none." I spun the sword around in the air. "But I guess the Loop is going to be way more crowded now, with the war so close at hand."

Addison nods. "I think today is the day they come." She looks up at me and I meet her eyes.

"You're sure?"

She nods again. "I overheard the chief talking with the head of the army yesterday, and they were saying a lot of things were happening today."

My sword stops moving. I look out the cave entrance, at the trees in front of us. "So it's time?" I ask to no one in particular.

A solemn "yes" sounds from behind me. I sheath my sword and turn around. "Then we have to get me in there sometime. The village is going to need me in order to win this war." Addison nods. I walk up to her and hold my hand out. "They're going to need you too. I'm going to need you." We smile and shake.

"For Sigrun." Addison chants.

I smile. Though they have treated me badly, and want nothing to do with me, it was my home. I have to defend it.

"For Sigrun."