-4-

I pull my bow from my shoulder and an arrow from my quiver and mount it. My muscles pulled as the string is pulled back. I let go and the arrow split the layer of tree bark and stuck horizonal in the tree.

The animals scurried back into the deeper woods and I walk back to the village. The sun was setting behind me with the rising moon guiding me in front. I feel kinda hesitant to leaving the village and then coming back again. Even though the Chief hasn't escorted me out, I still felt unwanted around my soon-not-to-be home.

I open the door to my hut and walk into my bedroom, setting my cloak on the hooks. Climbing into bed, I stare at the gray, brick ceiling, wishing my friend were back at home.

After a long time, tossing and turning, I finally fell asleep.

_____________________________________________

I wake up, and I can't wait until breakfast, and the thought of seeing Addison gets my hopes up for the day.

But then I remembered:

No. She's gone.

Then the light I thought I had is burned out.

I trudge through the village not bothering to look up to see where I'm going. I almost run into the doors of the Great Hall when I get there, and I open it. The smell of bread and butter fills the air and my spirits rise. I sit down after setting my tray full of food on the table and dig in. The food tastes bland and dry, but it was food, and I love food, so I eat it anyway.

When breakfast's done, my next stop is the Chief. I'm hoping to talk with him about my training. I'm going to graduate soon, and I needed all the support I can get!

As I walk into the Chiefs house, there are some of his head warriors talking with him.

"We must stop them before it's too late! They could advance at any point!" Said one.

"I agree, but the students aren't ready! We'll need them to help you in battle." The Chief responded.

All heads nodded. The case was closed, but this sounds big. A battle is always big!

As the other people left, they give me a surprised look, then recover their senses and wrinkle their noses in favor of me being expelled from the village. hesitantly walk up to the Chief, sitting behind his table. I try to hold in a gag as I see -and smell- just how much chicken he had on his oversize plate.

"Hello, my dear." He sneers. "What brings you here to my village?" He asks. Obviously, he still remembers me wanting to "take over", and he definitely not give me a good time about it. 

I look up at the Chiefs face. "I came to ask about my past training. How is everyone else coming along?"

He took a bite of his chicken and nodded. "Pretty fine, I'll say. You especially." He gestures at me with his chicken leg, letting one little piece fly. I dodge it and continue talking.

"Thank you. It's really a pleasure to be training with the best."

"Yes, although compared to you, I wouldn't say they're the best! You are the best warrior I've seen in ages!"

"Though I must admit, the practices they give me are...quite easy."

The Chief nodded. "I might be able to come up with some more difficult levels for you, and the others who want a challenge." He looked down at his food. "Might as well train you up until you leave." The Chief took a big bite, so thankfully he would stop talking. 

We were silent.

I took a breath. "I'm sorry I was so nosy, but I over heard you and some other men talking about something." I'm afraid to ask, not wanting to be thrown into exile. "What was that?"

A surprised look takes over the Chiefs face. He sighs. "There's a threat of war on the far north side of the island. I've sent the head warriors to scout out the place, and they came back with news."

I lean forward. "Let's hear it."

The Chief sighs at my eagerness. "There's not much cover on the land. The letter said they'd be shooting from their boats." He sighs and rubs his temples. "I really don't know what to do, and I'd really hate to admit it." He whispers.

I was thinking the entire time he'd been talking. "If our enemy is shooting only from their boats, that gives them limited shots, giving they can only bring so much." I say, thinking out loud. "We have the advantage of having our supplies so close at hand, meaning we can send troops to get more supplies if needed."

The Chief looks thoughtfully at me. "You do have a point there."

"What cover do we have out there?" I ask.

"Not much." He answers. "Just some trees, it's all forest there."

"What about in the water?"

He looks thoughtful for a moment. "There is a lot of sea stacks there."

"They'll use those for cover, definitely, which also means they probably won't be able to shoot very strait when in hiding." I say.

He nods.

"What about weapons, did the letter say what kind of weapons they'll have?"

The Chief shakes his head.

"Well, I suppose you wouldn't give that hint anyway. Fair enough. Can I see the letter?"

"Sure, though I looked through it many times already." He hands me a yellowing piece of parchment.

"How long ago did you get this?" I ask, holding the paper by it's severed corner.

"About a month ago..."

By now, I think it might be too late to save up weapons. I blow the dust off the slip of paper and begin to read the written words:

To Chief Adestienn

This is the Chief of Sigrun
We are coming to take back what you and your tribe have stolen from us.
The lives, the food and our precious saving of Gold.
Along the way, we might just take a few of your own.

The war will begin in 2 moons from now, and I will not be willing to postpone any of it.
I will be shooting from my ships, as the land is such a bad place to fight from, and don't you worry, I will be locked and loaded with all the necessary tools and weapons to take back what once was my own.

War begins as soon as my ships arrive in your waters.

Signed, Chief Roald