-12-

The sun rises further into the sky as I run to the village. Wind whipped through my jacket, tosses my long brown hair around, and whistles in my Fox ears.

Soon, the village comes into view. The tall tower of the Town Hall looms before me, with the rising sun behind it. Walking into the village, memories flood my head: all the training sessions in the training arena, the meals in the great hall. . . all the looks the other villagers gave me . . .

I shook the memories from my head, good and bad, and continue scouting for people in the village.

In the village, a few people linger. Some hammer metal on the anvils, some are forging swords, and some shape shields. I look closer and notice, all the workers have bags under their eyes, and dripping in sweat. Some of them look like they've been working all night!

Then the sound of a door opening catches my attention. In the furthest corner of the village, Mary came out of her cottage. After spotting her, I smile and my heart lifts. Her eyes pass over my hiding place, behind a bush. Her eyes as well have bags under her eyes, and her eyebrows are scrunched.

Can I get to her?

I look over to the paths intertwining the houses. The paths are in sight of all the villagers working in the shops beside them. No place to sneak around. I look around the edges of the village's houses and spot a break in the system: around the back of the houses, no shops are set up. It's too dark in the evening, and too close to the forest for a good view: no houses face the forest, and all windows look out in the opposite direction. Carefully sneaking out of my hiding spot, I crouch through the bushes and around the trees until I can stand fully behind one of the houses. Checking around the corner, to make sure nobody's near, I tip-toe to the other end of the house. Mary's house is just a few houses away, but just past a small shop, facing the other way.

Slowly approaching, I recognize this as Theo's shop, the town butcher. Not a fan of meat, I wasn't one to hang around his shop, and still not one. His shop is adjacent to the back of the houses, so I can't see if Theo is there or not. However, as I get closer, I could hear the rustling of things being moved. A shadow on the ground moved as the owner moved, meaning Theo was there . . . and I couldn't get passed him. He has a keen eye for animals escaping, and, as I am a Fox, and trying to sneak around, I doubt he wouldn't see me.

So, all I have to do is risk it.

A voice, not the one of Theo's, catches my ears. A customer! This could be the only time he would turn his back, but with the customer facing my way, there is now possibility of me being able to escape his presence without either of them noticing.

The two shadows on the ground move a little, until they are joined as one: Theo is blocking the view of the customer! I have to do it! Without revealing too much of myself, I peak around the corner. The two people are, indeed, facing each other. Deep in conversation, they don't notice me swiftly leap through the gap in the buildings, and in two giant leaps, I am safely hidden behind the other building, away from the view of anyone.

If only that would be so.

"Kalaya?" A voice said. "Is that you?"

Mary's voice!

"Mary?" I whisper. Her shadow approaches beside me. She comes around the corner, her face surprised. "What are you doing here?"

"I think I should be asking you!" She comes closer and whispers, "What are you doing here?"

I don't want to tell her I'm coming here to steal, but I've already told her, right? "Well . . . you know . . ."

She raises an eyebrow. "Stealing?"

I shrug and duck my head. "Maybe?" Sighing, I say, "Look, I've got nothing back in my cave, and besides, how do you suppose I survive when I have nothing?"

Mary sighs. "I guess you're right." She tugs on my arm. "Is there anything I can do to help? Deliver food, blankets, tools and such?"

Speechless, I open my mouth, only to close it again. "You would do that?"

"Of course! You need help, and I can give it to you!" she pulls on my arm again. "Here, come with me." she pulls me to the corner, so I am close to the edge of the house. Mary goes around the corner and looks around. Then, very discretely, she waves her hand for me to come. I do, and she leads me toward her house.

She opens her door and says, "Come in." She steps in, leaving me still outside her door.

"Come in?" This is new. "Really?"

She turns around to look at me. "Of course! You don't want to be discovered out here, do you?"

I scoff. "Well, no." I come in, even though I'm hesitant.

Inside is a warm and welcoming room, with a small kitchen, a bit of a living room, and a dining room in the middle. The windows are in just the right places to make the whole space glow with an inviting light. In the living room, a fire crackles and a boy, about my age, maybe older is tending to it.

"Torsten?" Mary says. The boy looks up. "This is Kalaya." Mary hesitates before adding, "The Foxblood."

Torsten regards me with watchful eyes. He has dusty brown hair, cut short, and a chiselled jawline. His face is hard, but there's a softness in his bright blue eyes. His clothes are those of a warriors', much better than mine; more protective, heavier, and layered. Faint scars scale down his muscled arms, hinting he was one of the men who fought wars in previous years.

"What have you come here for?" Torsten asks. His voice is hard, but I can hear a caring note hidden under the layers. "You were kicked out."

His words sting a little. I don't really need to be reminded of why I have to sneak into the village at night.

"Torsten!" Mary yells. "You ought not speak of that to her! She - "!

I put up a hand to silence her. "I know. It's ok." I look to Torsten. "I'm pleased to meet you." I put out my hand sceptically. Does he shake hands? Luckily, he takes my hand in his own strong one and gives it a firm shake.

"The pleasure is all mine." He says. He waves a hand in a grand sweep. "Welcome to our home."