-16-

How could I lead the village to victory, or more importantly, how could I give the Chief the right plan to win?

I hop down from the roof of the cave and pick up a piece of paper and a stick with a tip covered in charcoal. The Chief already had a plan, and I had already enhanced that one. But I have my own plan, one I had to get the Chief on. This is the only plan that was going to lead us to victory, I know it.

While eating berries and nuts, I draw. The lines, the crosses, the dots, it all makes sense to me. I plan until the sun is high in the sky. I store the food I didn't eat in my food bag.

Just berries, nuts and apples. Not much variety. I think back to the village, with all the food in the Great Hall. What would it take to get back there and get some food? I purposely try to not use the word steal. They are asking for it, if they don't want me to come back to the village for a few things, sending me away like this.

I'll go back to the village at sundown. I think. Maybe Mary and Torsten will have some food for me.

But everyone is probably out looking for me.

No. I can't go back.

But I should make sure Mary and Torsten are ok. If they were spotted near me, talking to me, they would be questioned.

But I have to stay away from them. In order to keep them safe.

I put the map away and decide to go for a little run. I take up my bow, fill my quiver full of arrows, and slip outside into the mid-day sun.

As I run around the forest, shooting everything that would give me a challenge.

After a few minutes, I come across the tree with the note I had written to Addison not too long ago. The note is gone.

I put my arrow I was going to shoot back into my quiver and run up to the tree the note used to be tied to. There was no sign of the note, and no sign of someone being here. I could only hope Addison has gotten it, if not, someone trustworthy.

Maybe she has come back! I think. Maybe I'll get to see her again!

With a new pep in my step, I resume my hunt for things to shoot. The prospect of seeing my best friend again makes me want to try harder. The world is worth it when you have someone to live it with.

I try to keep myself occupied for the rest of the day; I shoot around the forest, retrieve my arrows, make new ones, find more food, and plan for the war. Anything to keep my mind busy. There was no point in worrying about anything. Though Addison coming back has stoked some worries I had tried to extinguish, I tried to plan ahead for anything I'm stressing about.

When the moon was just peeking over the Horizen, I turn in for the night. At least, part of it. I'm planning to go out into the village again, maybe.

We'll see what the village looks like before we do anything.

I move the curtains, so they cover up the moon that shines brightly through the trees and put my bow and quiver away in the corner. The food bag is full and bulky, lying on the ground by the back stone wall of the cave. I tried to get rid of the smell as much as possible: bears could sniff their next meal from a mile away practically, and nobody wants to wake up with a bear, or any other animal, eating your breakfast.

After a few moments of staring around at my home, I drift into a peaceful sleep.

___________________________________________________________

When I wake up, there is only darkness. The moon has gone past the cave entrance and the curtain no longer shines a tinge of blue.

Time to get up and go to the village. Maybe Addison will be there!

I swing my bow and quiver over my back and walk out into the endless night.

My Fox eyes glow slightly as I see clearly in the dark. I pass the note tree, no paper attached sadly, so she hasn't replied. There is still hope though. Maybe she had taken the note and is writing it right now!

As I run through the forest, I think of what I might find. The last time I was at the village, everyone was working day and night, making armor, weapons, everything to help with the war. Now, I see that and worse. The Chief is there, supervising everything, shouting orders.

Everyone is slaving away, sweat dripping down and heavy bags under their eyes. A pile of swords, newly made, are in the middle of the town square. Some people, people I used to train with, people I know, are lined up in suits of armor, and I see Torsten in the front, pacing between them. He's shouting instructions and the troops follow his lead. He nods and continues.

I should be in there. I think. I should be the one leading the archers!

Moving on, there is a thick cloud of haze coming from all the baker's houses, including Mary's. Going the same route I had gone down before, I slip behind the walls of houses and stand as still as possible if someone looks my way.

Finally I get to Mary's back door. I knock on the door and she yells form inside, "Come in!"

I hesitantly open the door to reveal Mary's back turned to me. She's at her stove, where multiple pots bubbled and steamed. On her counter, loaves of bread and pastries, salads and vegetables towered.

"I'm back!" I say a little quiet.

Mary's head snaps up and she whirls around. "Kalaya?!!" She ditches her food and runs over to me, engulfing me in her warm embrace. "I thought I'd never see you again!" She holds me at arm's length and looks me over. "Where have you been?" She scolds in a motherly voice. "You are never to leave this house again without one of us knowing."

I laugh and say in a sarcastic voice, "Yes, ma'am."

She laughs and releases me and waves to the table. "Go on, have a seat. I have plenty of food to go around." She chuckles.

I frown and ask, "Isn't this all for the war?"

Mary returns my frown and says, "Yes, I suppose it is. After all," She turns to me. "we are being invaded tomorrow."