-8-

Stands of food: bread, fruits and veggies, cheese, and other assortments of things to eat. I grab a few loaves of bread, not wanting to get my stealing noticed. A few apples, a couple carrots. Just enough food to last a few days. The moon stares at me from the tip-top of the sky. 

I sigh. Looking back at my old village, I suddenly realize how much I still miss it. I shake the thought from my mind. The people never excepted me! What good was a home if nobody loved me?

I walk back down the street, back to the forest, to my new home. 

_____________________________________________

The rustling of animals wakes me up in the morning. Familiar hooting sounds from the mouth of that cave. 

"Feathers!" I say, excited.

My blanket is flung off me, and I run to the opening of my cave. Perched on the lowest branch of the tree oposite of the cave is my owl, the only thing I have from my village. In her beak, she's carrying a mouse by the tail, dead, by the looks of it. 

"Ew." I wrinkle my nose. "I don't know how you animals can eat that." I shake my head. 

"Who!" Feathers woots. 

I roll my eyes. "You! You're an animal!" Then I stop. "...and...so am I."

 "Who?"

As the days pass, the food around my cave grows scarce, and some days I struggle to find something to eat. My village is an easy supply of food, but I don't want people to notice food missing. 

My clothes have worn holes in them, and my arrows are slowly being used up. My bow string is loosening, and I get a new one to replace it. 

One day, the same day my bow string breaks, I sit on the top rock of my cave to restring it. A quiet breeze tumbles through my hair, and tickles my furry ears. I look in the direction the wind is blowing, out towards the forest. 

Then I remember the note I told Addison to write me. I tie the last knot of my bow and slide off the roof of the cave. The soft "pad pad" of my boots sounds, and I run straight north, towards the tree with the flag. 

After a few minutes of light jogging, our tree comes into view. The flag is still flying in the soft wind, but just above it, a paper, folded up, was nailed to the middle of the tree

"Yes!" My heartbeat quickens, and so does my pace. 

Desprit for words from my friend, I unfold it.

Dear Kalaya,

I'm so glad your doing ok! I'm still getting used to you not wondering in the shadows of the village! How are you? Is the food ok? Have you made any new animal friends? How's your cave home coming along? 

I really hope you came to visit soon. I need to see you! Maybe we can meet up at night, near the flag? 

One day, you need to invite me over. I want to see how you've been holding up, so far away from home. 

Well, now that I've written that down, I feel like I've offended you. You...well, the Chief kicked you out. Is it ok if I say you don't belong?

I really hope I didn't offend you. I know we ARE friends, but, well, you are pretty invincible with that bow of yours!

Have a good day, and write soon! Invite me over one day? I'm always free!

Your best friend, Addison

It's so nice to hear from my best friend, but as I read her words over and over, I know she's right. I don't belong there. I was kicked out, and even going into the village, to get some food or supplies, would be forbidden. 

I run back to my cave, and walk inside to my bag. Inside, I have some paper I got from my last trip and rip some out, and begin to write. 

Dear Addison,

Thank you so much for you letter! It's so good to read your words! I feel like I can hear your voice through the paper! 

So far, I'm doing ok. Food HAS been scarce, but I've been managing. I hope you wont tell the Chief this, but I've been sneaking into the village to borrow (or steal) food and supplies for myself. As far as my home, it's been going ok. After the Chief kicked me out, I started going back to gather supplies, like blankets, paper and pencels, a bag, and such. I've been ok, but I do miss my old house. I would never call it a home, since nobody (except you) has excepted me as a friend. It's much more homely here, even if I am alone.

I do want to invite you over, but with the woods in our way, and the Chief on the watch for the war, I really hope even our notes don't get noticed.

Speaking of the war, any more news on that front? I come by some nights, and sometimes, I have to wait hours before the street is clear before I show myself. The townfolk are working their tails off preparing for this war. I wish I could help in some way, but with the Chief going on, I don't think I'll be able to come. 

Anyway, I don't want to make this letter such a pity party, but I do hope you are well, and I'll be waiting for your nest letter!

Your best friend, Kalaya

I folded up my letter, and ran to the letter tree. Taking the nail that was there before, holding up Addisons letter, I took my own and pinned it to the bark.