32. Loyal Dog

"B-but... I don't understand. The love arrow broke?" Sage bit her lip. Eros' arrow had broken. That was why Ares had left her. What he was saying now didn't make any sense. Was this all just wishful thinking on her part? Was she misunderstanding him?

"Yes, it did break." Ares agreed.

"Then your feelings...?"

"My feelings were real, Sage."

Sage's lips quivered. She wanted to cry. She wasn't sure what she was feeling. Happy. Sad. Angry. Confused. But she felt that there was something very important that she needed to check he had understood.

"I don't have any eyes."

Ares swallowed.

"I know."

Did he? Didn't he realise what that meant? She was burden to everyone. Everything was challenge for her now. 

The bar owners of Castle Hill called out for last orders. There was a scrape of a chair as Ezekiel pulled back from the table.

"Ezekiel," Sage murmured. Ezekiel hesitated.

"Do you want me to stay? Or do you want to be alone with him?" Ezekiel's voice made it clear that it was her decision. If Sage asked him to stay, he'd stay.

             Four months ago, when she'd been alone in her apartment – eyes gouged out – it had been Ezekiel who had found her. He'd broken down her apartment door after hearing that she hadn't shown up to work and he'd found her lying on the bloody sheets of her bed.

"Sage!? Sage, answer me!?" He'd yelled, holding her in his arms. She'd struggled to reply. Her voice scratched and breathy, ruined from screaming.

He'd called for an ambulance and he'd held her hand all the way to the hospital. It was something she'd be forever grateful for. She'd thought that she was going to die alone on that bed. The moment Ezekiel had found her, her fear had gone. The hospital had done what they could. But nothing could save her eyes.

"You don't have to stay with me." She'd said, when she'd woken up in the hospital the next day and discovered that Ezekiel still hadn't left her side.

"I'm you loyal dog, Sage." Was all he'd replied.

                   Now, as Ezekiel asked if he should leave – Sage couldn't help but think about all he'd done for her.

"I want you to stay." She replied. Her words made Ezekiel smile. But they crushed Ares. 

"It's getting late." Ezekiel commented gruffly. "Jaz will freak if I don't get you home."

Sage nodded. Since losing her eyes, Sage could no longer live alone. Moving to live above the café had been Jaz's idea.

They all stood up and Ares put a hand on Sage's elbow, guiding her between the myriad of tables. The trio were awkward as they walked down the hill, taking up most of the pavement. Whenever an obstacle came up and one of them had to walk briefly in the road, the men kept trying to nudge the other further away from Sage. 

"Where have you been all this time?" Sage asked Ares, filling the uncomfortable silence. She couldn't see the glares Ezekiel and Ares were sending to one another.