46. Hurts Like Hell

Zahira was leaving the café at the end of her shift. She stepped out onto the dark street and zipped up her coat as she did so. A terrible crack boomed across the sky and Zahira gasped and looked up. Brilliant colours flashed behind the clouds, like the most amazing firework display. Zahira trembled.

"The war continues to be waged on Olympus." Commented a voice from her left. Zahira squeaked and looked around.

Orion was standing there, looking bored.

"Oh." She murmured. Not sure what to say. Her heart was hammering. Was he talking to her? She looked around, expecting to see Orion's gaggle of admirers. But the Star Immortal was alone.

"Perhaps, when one of the Olympian's dies, it will rain down blood." He mused.

Zahira shivered at the thought.

"I hope not."

"No?" Orion's eyes flashed. He smiled and took a step closer to her. "What if I told you one drop would make you pretty for the rest of your life." He whispered. Zahira pulled a face. She didn't know how to respond. Confused, she looked down at her feet.

"That might be alright." She conceded, still unsure but not prepared to argue.

Orion made to go through the door she'd come out of. "The café's shut now..." Zahira cut in but her voice nervously trailed away before she'd finished.

"I'm here to visit Jasper Bellegrade."

"Oh."

Orion smiled in amusement.

"Are you going to stop me?"

Zahira felt wretched. She quickly shook her head and stepped aside.

"Good girl." He praised. Zahira stiffened slightly as Orion passed. The way he'd said 'good girl' made her feel a little... uncomfortable. 

Zahira quickly left, determined to escape from any further conversation.

She made it to the bus stop and dwelled on the encounter as she waited for her bus. Others at the bus stop were all watching the sky and taking videos of the gods fighting. But Zahira was trapped in her own thoughts. 

Good girl.

She hadn't liked that he'd said that. But why was she unhappy, she wondered. She supposed that he hadn't actually been rude or mean to her, so her current feelings of hurt didn't entirely make sense. Perhaps she was being overly sensitive? She huddled into her coat, making herself as small as possible. Perhaps she'd been the rude one by walking away?

She was kept up awake that night worrying about it all.

                    When she went into work the next day, Zahira was nervous that Jaz, her boss, would tell her off about it. Would Orion tell him that she'd met him outside the door? She was so preoccupied with this worry that she barely heard a word of the staff meeting.

"You look knackered, Trouble. Were you out late last night?" Cesar asked as they put their things away in their lockers.

"I didn't sleep very well." She mumbled.

"I bet you go wild when you're not with us." Cesar teased, nudging her arm. "Shooting down shots."