25. Getting Worse

Ares returned to the apartment. He reached the front door just as Jaz opened it to leave.

"Ah, she called for you." Ares surmised and smiled pleasantly but his eyes were cold. Jaz studied the war god warily. He shut the door so that they could talk privately in the hall.

"I know what they tried to do."

Ares waved a dismissive hand but Jaz could feel the residual anger radiating off him. Jaz's expression became stern. "It's not Sage's fault."

Ares looked away but his jaw was rigid. Jaz continued. "When you thought her obsession was you, you promised to protect her – to make her happy. Can you promise to protect her still?"

Glowering, Ares raised his hand to show the carrier bag he was holding. Jaz was taken aback by the contents inside. "Her favourite snacks?"

Ares nodded. Jaz appraised him, nonplussed. "That's what you left to do?"

"I left to see my uncle. To force him to let me drink from the river Lethe. I failed. So now I'm trapped. Eros' arrow continues to work and I'm enslaved to love forever that mortal woman."

The pain Ares felt was leaking bitterly into every word. Jaz nodded slowly.

"She'll enjoy the snacks." He replied, before stepping out of the way.

                   Sage soothed the covers down over a sleeping Sophia, tucking her in. She thought about the story Jaz had told her. It had seemed unfair. The descendants didn't deserve to pay for the crimes of their ancestors and the two sister's crimes weren't equal either. Sage heard footsteps behind her. She turned, expecting to see Jaz back for something, but she froze in surprise. Ares stood very still and stared at her.

"It's late," he murmured. "I didn't think you'd still be awake."

"I'm sorry-"

Ares put up a hand to stop her from saying more.

"Enough. I don't want to hear it." He thrust the bag of snacks at her. Sage took it and blinked in confusion.

"These are my favourites..."

"I know." Ares' voice was hard. "I know because I love you."

Sage swallowed and dropped her gaze to the ground.

"Thank you." She mumbled guiltily.

"If I didn't love you, I'd probably kill you for what you did."

Sage trembled and her eyes filled with tears. Ares sighed heavily. "I'll continue to be good to you, Sage. Because I have no other choice."

Sage sniffed, her grip tightening around the bag strap. "Goodnight." He slowly walked past her and disappeared up the stairs to his bedroom. Tears rolled down Sage's face.

                      Sage woke up mid-day, feeling even more tired then when she'd gone to bed. She padded barefoot into the kitchen and found Sophia and Ares already up and about. Sophia was scrubbing the floors. But, whenever they were almost clean, Ares would deliberately pour his drink all over the tiles. Sage shivered, observing Ares' cold actions.

"Drink this." Ares spoke, not looking at Sage but thrusting a thermos in her direction. She hadn't realised that he'd noticed her standing there. "Jaz made it to help with your... curse."