5. Zorg, the Alien

Sage was wiping tables outside of the cake shop, the sun blazing down. Pedestrian's ambled past, flip flops thwacking against the tarmac, legs out to catch sun rays, and Sage was full of envy. She tugged at the neck of her uniform, her cheeks flushed from the heat, and tried not to scowl at the customers. A cyclist going by caught her attention and she looked up, her heart skipping a beat.

She dropped the cloth she'd been cleaning with and followed after him. She made it to the crossing, out of breath from breaking into a run, before coming to a stop. The cyclist had stopped at the lights, giving her a clearer view of his face. It wasn't her dad. Sage put a hand to her side, nursing a stitch. The realisation had knocked some of the energy from her.

Why had she run after him? Did she really think her dad would come back? She'd told him not to – she'd told him not to for a reason. He'd chosen money over her. But all the answers she needed were in her aching chest. For those brief couple of minutes, she'd allowed herself to hope. Because she still did hope, that he'd change. That he would come back and fight to be part of her life again.

She turned from the road and covered her face with her hands. Would she never stop waiting? Wasn't there a limit to how long a heart could break? A breath of wind stirred around her, breathing cool air onto her damp skin. Sage lowered her hands and looked up to see Ares standing across the road from her. She met his penetrating stare. Cars crawled along the road between them but Sage's attention focused on the beautiful man that was looking so intently at her.

He stooped suddenly, clutching his side. Sage's brow furrowed in concern and she took a step into the road toward him. A car honked its horn, having to break to avoid her. Ares, on the other pavement, fell to one knee. Sage put up her hand in apology to the cars and rushed quickly across the road.

"Are you alright?" She asked, reaching Ares and putting her hands on his shoulders to support him. "Are you hurt?" 

He was clutching his arm and Sage saw that his shirt was steadily darkening. She patted down her pockets, hoping to find a phone – though she knew she'd left it in her locker.

"No hospitals," his voice was firm.

"But you're bleeding." Sage frowned. She pulled aside his shirt to see the injury, but whilst she'd been expecting blood – she hadn't expected liquid gold. She retracted her hand and stared at it, the shimmering liquid dripping from her fingers. "What the..." she murmured. Ares grunted, he put an arm around her shoulders and used her to pull himself up.

"I need to get out of here."

            Sage struggled to support Ares' burly build as they staggered back to the cake shop. The bell above the door tinkled as they entered and Jaz looked up at the sound and gawped.

"What happened?!"

"I don't know," Sage was out of breath.

"I'll call an ambulance."

"No," Sage shook her head.

She lugged Ares through the cake shop and toward the backrooms. Seeing what Sage was trying to do, Jaz stepped forward and opened the store cupboard door for her.  He helped Sage gently lower Ares onto the ground - kicking a stool out of their way in the process.

 Jaz stood back, frowning worriedly. Why didn't Sage want him to call an ambulance?