60. Another Man's Shoes

When Zahira checked her phone, she saw the missed calls from Orion. Depressed, she sent the star immortal a message – telling him she'd head to his place after work tomorrow.

                 Time went by much too fast for Zahira, tomorrow came and she found herself back at the penthouse feeling massively unprepared. This time, when she knocked on the door, it was Orion who answered it. He pulled her into a hug and Zahira stood woodenly in his arms, not hugging him back. How was she going to do this?

Orion realised that something was wrong.

He guided Zahira to the sofa and sat down beside her. Zahira stared at her knees, looking wretched.

"What's wrong?" Orion asked, watching her face carefully. Zahira's lip trembled. "Zahira, look at me." Orion instructed. When she wouldn't, he reached out to cup her cheek but Zahira flinched back from his touch.

Orion slowly retracted his hand. "Ok." He rose to his feet and turned so that Zahira couldn't see his face. Zahira hung her head guiltily. "You're angry at me about something, right?"

Zahira shook her head but Orion wasn't facing her. so he didn't see. "What is it? Have you heard something bad about me?" He turned suddenly, meeting her gaze. "Has your boss spoken to you about me?"

She shook her head. Though Jaz had warned her that dating Orion wasn't a good idea, he hadn't actually said anything specific. "Liar." Orion chided. Zahira saw that Orion's hands were balled into fists. She quickly rose to her feet.

"Jaz hasn't told me anything, really." She frowned, wondering how her boss and Orion knew one another. 

"Then why are you upset with me?"

Zahira opened and closed her mouth, unsure what to say. She couldn't tell him about Dante. If she mentioned the gang, that would only confirm that she was involved with hiding illegal goods. Orion would hate her for it. She could go to prison and, for blabbing, she'd probably end up getting killed there. She felt physically sick.

"I don't think we're a good fit. We're too different from one another." Her voice shook as she spoke. Orion stared at her, with hurt raging in his eyes.

"Why is being different a problem?" He asked her. "I like that you're nothing like me."

Zahira stared at him. This was even harder than she'd imagined.

Orion moved suddenly, pulling Zahira into an embrace. "I'm in love with you, Zahira."

Zahira's heart trembled. She had no idea what she should do. Could she keep dating Orion in secret, and keep the gang from finding out? 

She wanted to.

Slowly, she moved her arms to hug him back. If the gang found out, at least she'd be the only one to get hurt. For the first time in her life, she wanted to be brave. She wanted to keep Orion in her life. Orion held her close against him and Zahira could feel the pounding of his heart. He cradled her head and breathed in the smell of her hair. "Don't leave me."

"Ok." She whispered. She'd risk her life to stay with this man. Orion leant down and kissed her cheek. She lifted her head up and he kissed her mouth. It was a sweet kiss.