21. The God Killer

Sage stood on the bridge, the wind ruffling her hair. Cars rushed by but she ignored the traffic. She leant against the handrail – her attention focused on the old ship yard below. The place had been refurbished into a night club and was owned by Skelrun. It was too early for it to be lively yet, but Sage wasn't watching the place to check out partyers.

The doors opened and Sage's grip clenched around the rail – her excitement building. She held her breath. A guy stepped out of the door. It wasn't Ezekiel. Bitter disappointment crushed her. She wanted to see Ezekiel – just from afar – a glimpse would be enough.

"Sage?"

Sage turned and looked up, startled to see the object of her obsession standing only a couple of feet from her.

"Ezekiel," she breathed – her heart picking up as she soaked in the sight of him.

"The guys said you've been coming here a lot lately. I wanted to see if it was true and... and to see you. To check you were alright." Ezekiel exhaled, frustrated with himself. "I should have come sooner. I just..."

"I know, it's a lot to take in." It couldn't have been easy, learning about the gods by being abducted by one. "I'm sorry, that it happened like this."

Ezekiel studied her.

"You look awful. Is he hurting you?" She knew that he meant Ares. Sage made half a move toward Ezekiel, pulled in by the desire to touch him. Her fingers itched. The idea of touching Ezekiel, of running her fingers over his chest and kissing the tattoos on his face and neck, was dangerous to dwell on. Especially with him standing so close.

"Don't," she said – stopping him when he made to close the gap between them. "Don't come closer."

Ezekiel looked away, attempting to hide the hurt in his eyes.

"Why can't I be near you? Is it because of him – has he threatened you?"

Sage quickly shook her head. She bit her lip to keep herself from saying the truth. That she couldn't trust herself. Everything about Ezekiel drew her closer to him. She wanted to claim him. She wanted him to be her man.

She groaned, using all her self-control to take a step away. The hurt raged behind Ezekiel's dark eyes. "Do you love him?"

"Ezekiel, I..." She hesitated.

"He's not human, Sage. Is that what you like about him? Because he's powerful and immortal." Ezekiel's face scrunched in disgust. "If it's him that you want to be with – then you shouldn't come here anymore."

Tears pricked Sage's eyes. She cleared her throat, not wanting him to hear the weakness in her voice.

"You're right. I'll leave." Her heart clenched painfully. She wanted so badly to throw herself at him. She'd much rather beg him to let her stay. She'd beg at his feet far more happily then she would be walking away. But walking away was what she needed to do. "Goodbye."

She turned, walking briskly against the wind. Tears slid down her face and she quickened her pace. She couldn't let Ezekiel see her cry. If he tried to comfort her, she'd really lose all control. Sage gritted her teeth and focused instead on the way her name sounded when he'd called it. The sound of his voice was beautiful and she'd imprint on her heart every word he'd uttered.