49. Not Normal

The café didn't boast only one hot regular. Orion's fans were equally happy when the mysterious 'Love God' showed up. Jaz glanced up at Eros' arrival, sensing the stir it was causing. Sunlight streamed into the café, glowing like a halo around Eros' snow-white hair. Jaz continued to meticulously clean the coffee machine; his gaze focused on the machine's awkward corners.

Eros' admirers brought him presents, loving his fascination for anything new. Books, magazines - they even leant him their phones for him to play games on.

"If only I had one of these for myself." Eros had sighed once, speaking more to himself. The next time he'd come to the café, three women had offered him brand new, contract paid, phones. Eros had been overwhelmed and silent as they'd taught him how to use them.

Today the worshipers surrounded him, asking Eros to go out to a bar with them. Eros made no reply. Silently, he made his way to the queue for drinks. Puzzlingly, none of his fans seemed to mind. Eros' aloof silence just added to his aura of mystery.

Jaz finished cleaning.

"Ready to go." He told Markus. Jaz caught his reflection in the sparkling coffee machine and quickly touched up his flamboyant quiff. Eros came to a stop in front of Jaz and stared at him, his amber gaze intent. Jaz suspected that Eros was once again trying to read his silent heart. "Tea?" Jaz asked, smiling. Eros looked disappointed but nodded.

Jaz served the tea and then continued to help Markus with the line of customers. Business was booming.

"Have you even had a break today?" Markus nudged Jaz on the shoulder, impressed by his boss' boundless energy. "You're not normal."

Jaz laughed.

"I've heard that before."

Once the queue was down, Jaz left Markus to it. He scanned the café and smiled, soaking in the cheerful atmosphere of the place. His gaze rested on Eros, sat by the window at a small table that was laden with presents from his admirers. Girls on a nearby table were sneakily trying to take pictures of the Love God. Jaz didn't know if Eros had noticed or not.

"Another tea?" Jaz asked, approaching the table.

"You wear very bright colours." Eros observed slowly. Jaz grinned.

"I like bright colours." Jaz's bright shirt was unbuttoned low, revealing his tanned chest. "You keep trying to read me."

"I'm doubting if you have a heart at all."

"Ouch!" Jaz laughed, but the light didn't quite reach his eyes.

The end of the day came and Eros didn't get up to leave.

"You lot head home." Jaz told his staff. "I can manage here." 

Once they were gone, Jaz turned the sign in the door to closed. He ignored the continued presence of Eros and instead cleaned up, humming to himself as he worked.

Only once he was done, did Jaz take a seat opposite Eros. The Love God was staring at the murals on the walls, his gaze fixed on Psyche's pretty face.

"I can't remember her." Eros spoke sadly. "Why did you paint these?"

Jaz pursed his lips, considering his answer.