Heart Of A Champion

Even though I've met Sona's parents before this situation makes it much more nerve-racking. I'm not sure what all they know about our relationship so talking to them about it will be a trip. All I know is I have to be on my best behavior for them, something I haven't had to bother doing in some time. As the three of us arrive a few maids all are around to greet us. They start leading us to Sona's parents and I start feeling even more nervous. The only thing that makes me feel comfortable is that I don't think they have any reason to hate me, though having Sona here makes it easier as well. The three of us are led to a big double door and it's opened, revealing Sona's parents.

"Well this is a pleasant surprise," Lady Sitri says on our entrance. "It's nice to see you Sona." We approach the two of them and I bow. "Pleasure to see you as well Y/N, it's been awhile."

"That it has Lady Sitri," I respond. "The pleasure is all mine." Her husband comes forward and extends his hand to me.

"You've been the talk of the underworld recently Y/N. I hope everything has been settled for you now." I can't say I'm surprised after what has happened recently. "You seem like you've grown a lot in the last few months."

"That's a simple way to put it sir. Thankfully everything has been settled and it appears that I'll be able to relax for a little bit." The five of us sit down, Sona and I across from her parents.

"So it seems the rumors are true as well," Lord Sitri says. "I must say if it was to be a Phenex I'm glad it's you."

"Thank you," I respond.

"Mother, Father," Sona interrupts, "there's something that we need to tell you." The way she said it sounds like it would be something bad. "Y/N and I just played in a game of chess and he defeated me."

"Is that correct?" Lady Sitri asks. "No offense to you Y/N, but it is quite a shock to hear this come so quickly after Sona's past engagement. I never would have thought that someone would be able to take her down so quickly."

"It is true Lady Sitri. The game was a close competition, and I've never gone against someone who made me try as hard as Sona did, but the result was a victory for me. Whether it's a battle on the chessboard or in combat my goal is always the same, and having an opponent like Sona I was able to push myself. If I didn't have Sona by my side during the recent events I've been through I don't know what would have ended up happening to me. I would want nothing more than to have Sona with me for the rest of my life." I realize I started rambling and looking over to Sona's face it's gotten a little bit red.

"I see," her father answers. "Well spoken Y/N. Serafall told us about the relationship that you two had entered, and while at first I had my doubts about it I see that you two have gotten quite close. While I know that you can be a very good person I also know that you can be a bit of a, how do they say it?"

"Bad boy?"

"That's probably a nice way to put it. You aren't a playboy like Riser but you aren't necessarily proper like Ruval. Don't feel obligated to act a certain way around us. Our future son in law shouldn't feel as if he has to wear a mask around us. It's clear to everyone that knows you that you are a very prideful individual, and it can make you act a little bit eccentric, but I don't think that's a bad thing. You hold the people closest to you very near to your heart, and our daughter having someone like that with her can only be a good thing. The only thing that I can ask is that you take care of my daughter." I give Lord Sitri a smirk.

"I have no intent to do anything else. Like you said, I take care of the people closest to me, and Sona is definitely no exception. As crazy as I can get Sona is able to bring me back down to earth, and on the other hand I'm able to show her that she doesn't need to be so serious all the time. As an heiress it's clear that she has a lot that she has to deal with, but I do my best to try to help her whenever and wherever I can."