boxes & moving vans [lee]

Once you had finally built the last few boxes and sharpied them with names such as ORNAMENTS and CUTLERY, you sealed them shut and stacked them by the apartment door.

He smiled hesitantly as the final few pieces were handed to you in tissue paper and the boxes decreased in emptiness. Lee looked to the ground. You turned away from him and smiled instead.

No words were said, but you knew the van had pulled up outside already. Two large men began taking boxes and small pieces of furniture downstairs, you & Lee helping too and gradually the apartment seemed more empty. Dusting the few remaining empty spaces, he peered to the street where the small moving van was being loaded.

The final box was taken away. You stood clutching your bag with both hands, like a small child would on their first day of school.

'Well, that's it.' you said.

'That's it.'

Your head bobbed in agreement. 'Oh...' you remebered, taking out your keys and hooking off the rusty golden one, placing it gently on the kitchen counter.

You didn't want to break up with Lee, but it was for the best.

He stared at the key and pondered on the fact it would be without an owner. Lee's face dropped. How you hated seeing him so sad, but at last the days had become too routine, and you felt as though the flame had died. Lee felt it too & had tried his hardest to relight it, but the dying embers of your half-a-decade love were finally gone.

'I'll miss this place.' you glanced around- anywhere but at his face as he stood so glumly with hands in pockets.

Lee looked disheartened. 'I'll miss you.'

'I'll miss you too. But this can't go on, you know that, my love. We both have lives to be living, and I'm not going to tie you down for ever.' you lightened him up, knowing full well he wanted that life all the same.

'I know,' he spoke, trying to form a smile just for you, 'I think they're ready for you...' he hesitated once more.

'Yeah,' you began to move, 'See ya round, mister.'

'See ya.' said Lee, turning to his bookshelf and finding one of your books. You must've left it. But no; as he picked it up the small piece of paper dropped out.

He opened the note.

In another lifetime, mister. All my love x

And as you backed upto the doorway and left with a weak smile on your face, you stood with your hand on the door handle one final time.

'Goodbye, Lee.'