spirits [lee]

tw: alcohol abuse

'You told me you'd stop.' Lee said bluntly, shifting his weight from right to left.

'I know, I know...' you wobbled over words and phrases, holding a glass of whisky with your fingertips.

'Give that to me!'

'No!'

He was taken back, physically too as he stepped away from you. 'What do you want me to do then?'

'Leave, maybe?'

'Are you ser- are you fucking serious?' Lee spat, pointing at you in blame.

'Yup.'

'Fine. Fuck you. Do this to yourself, I'm out of this.' he used a monotone voice as he walked past you, slamming the door and leaving you saying:

'Fuck you too, Lee.'

      9.45pm blinked on clocks around your apartment. Lee had not returned and you had only staggered back and forth from the selection of spirits. Now led on the floor with vomit blocking your airways, time was running out.

Once the door had opened and Lee stood there, he immediately sprung forwards.

'Oh god, no, no. Hey, get it up! Get it up!' he shouted, turning you on your side before you coughed and spluttered across the floor. Fearing the worst, he reached for the phone with your head in his lap.

'Lee...' you gurgled, but you only picked up the faint sound of a 911 operator answering the phone.

     2am was dotted on the hospital clock and a familiar scent of cleaning products and men's cologne washed over you. He didn't even look up from staring at his knees, index finger pressed against his temple.

'Alcohol poisoning.'

'I'm sorry, Lee. It won't happen again.'

'You said that last time, and the time before that, and before that. When will it stop?' he seemed agitated rather than worried. Understandable; the amount of times he'd come home and found you drunk or half intoxicated was astonishing.

'Now. This is where it stops.' you affirmed shakily.

'How do I know you're not going to fall back into old habits? Hm?'

'It just will, I promise.'

'Right. Well, I don't trust your promises anymore. I can't afford to.' Lee spoke, shaking his head quickly.

'What?'

'This is it. I can't do this anymore.' he began to stand, clearly stiff. 'You need help, help which I can't offer.'

'You're leaving? Where are you going?'

Lee could barely look you in the eyes. 'I'll pack my things and you'll never see me again.'

'But I need you, I need you now more than ever!' you began to move aswell, sitting up in the bed trying to follow him. 'Please don't go where I can't follow.'

'Your poetry won't work on me anymore. I have a life to lead too, and this has been going on for too long. Do you even remember the last three years?'

Shaking your head in shame, he scoffed, realising his actions were just. 'Lee, I'm begging you, please don't go.'

'I have to. I'm sorry. I hope you find peace soon.'

'Fuck. Lee, please...' you pleaded as he walked from the room, eyes watering but his expression cold. 'Lee. Lee!'

The last quivered, 'Lee,' was a sob into your pillow as you realised it was well and truly over.