they need me [lee]

Cosied up on this wintery Saturday midday was all you could ever ask for, only ever with Lee. Draped in a large coffee coloured blanket, your legs intertwined like climbing plants, cradling each other in comfort. Your hair was twisted like corkscrews in his fingers as he stroked it, braiding little plaits once in a while. Forever was not long enough to describe how long you wanted to stay like this.

Wall-E, not only your favourite Disney-Pixar film, but one of his too, played; it was as though the both of you had never seen it before- you were simply absorbed.

'You see,' Lee began, half munching on a cookie, 'I'm Wall-E, and you're Eve' he smiled, aiming towards the characters with his half-eaten biscuit, flailing crumbs everywhere. They were going to itch.

'Uh huh, why's that?' you spoke, catching some crumbs with your hand.

'Well, you're pretty & I'm cute and dumb' he chuckled deeply, a clear rumble from his belly escaping in laughter. He moved forward as he giggled. You wacked him gently.

'You're not dumb!' said you, 'You're one of the...'

'Yes?'

'One of the smartest people I've ever known'

'Awwww, you looooveee me' he mimicked, receiving an affectionate eyeroll from you.

'Do I?' you second guessed him. His face dropped suddenly, 'I'm joking. C'mere'

Wrapping hip up like a present, he leaned in, frowning so that his face wrinkled- you never liked seeing him look older- it scared you in a way. Bringing his chin up for a kiss, he convulsed in your touch; nothing in the world could make him resist your delicate, ring decorated hands lift up his face. He loved it so.

You had him for the whole weekend.

Sadly, much to Lee's dismay, you got up to make a drink asking, 'Do you want anything, my love?'

'No, no- I think I'm alright,' he refused, his hand very slowly drifting off your thigh from where you'd sat, 'Thank you' he mannered. Two years into the relationship & his manners had not lessened in the slightest.

Squinting into the fridge, you reached for a carton of apple & raspberry juice and poured yourself a glass, hearing shuffling coming from the front room. With a clang of glass jars and other condiments, you brushed it off. Staring from the window for a moment, your mind wandered back to the film and so you returned to your seat.

Lee's spot was too, empty.

'Lee?' your head turned, lingering to the sound of his voice. It was faint- muffled. Creaking, the bedroom door was being swung on. He only ever did that when he was on the phone.

'Lee?' you whispered, wanting not to disturb him. He looked at you so apologetically and held up a finger- not to silence- but to assure you he wouldn't be on the phone for long. With a smile on his face, you were consoled it wasn't bad, so holding your glass up in agreement of his haste return to watch the film, you walked away.

Five minutes. Ten minutes. Twenty minutes passed away and he still wasn't back. As the credits rolled and you finished the final few squares of chocolate, he reappeared from the bedroom, unaware of what he'd missed.

'Where are we up to on the film?' he spoke before glancing, first to the tv and then to the clock mounted upon the wall. He sighed, disappointed in himself, 'Oh'

'It's fine,' you lied, well- it wasn't the end of the world- but still, you were a teency bit mad, 'What was that about?'

Another sigh escaped his lips. This definitely wasn't good; the packed bag in his hands told you so.

'They want me back'

'What?'

'Tonight' he avoided your eyes.

'Tonight?' hidden, your hands balled in fists that were concealed by the blanket- thankfully.

'I'm sorry'

'Hm', you humphed with a small laugh, clipping the end of his apology. He bent his endless legs, rubbing his hands up and down them as he did when he was nervous, 'You best get going then'

'I don't want this- I wanted to spend the weekend with you' he complained.

'I know, Lee, but you promised- you promised me that I'd have you for the whole two days but as per usual,' you began inaudibly mumbling, 'The job comes first'

'What did you say?' he stood, just as pissed as you were.

'I said the job comes first, and you can't say that I'm wrong. I know I signed up for this from the moment we started dating, yet it still bothers me when I don't have you for as long as I'd like'

'I don't know what to say,' he saddened, 'They need me'

'I need you, Lee' you cried, tearless yet full of frustration.

You looked at him only for a moment, turning your attention back to anything but him. His senses overflowed with the aloof body language you gave. The door closed. As you laughed to yourself, the more tears welled & fell from your cheeks.

'I need you' you whispered into thin air.

You had no intention to stay in that apartment while he was gone.

*

Barely communicating for the 5 days he was in Cali, Lee had just returned from his filming, again only for a short while. Bursting at the seams with excitement to see you, he frantically unlocked the door. Expecting to hear your voice, he was met with deadly silence.

'Rose?' he called.

The place was empty.