11: Carmen Hall's Ashes

The march into Fairbanks was an uninterrupted, organized event. 100 soldiers came through the alley in the Fairbanks marketplace, Carmen West, as it was called. Unlike most other battles, the entirety of an army was First sergeants and above. Before then in the war, there was at least 10 privates, but Russia decided they needed their best men. It was all part of the risk & reward system. 

The Line of 100 First & Second Sergeants, 30 Third lieutenants, 15 Majors, Three Colonels, and a brigadier general. Each had a different purpose: The Sergeants would destroy the fort itself, the lieutenants would attack the men, the Majors would open any needed gate or door, the colonels instructed the attack and operated the ladder escape system, and the general was simply their to guard the outside of the fort for Canadian rebels. 

One colonel pointed his entire arm at the big brick gate that opened to Carmen Hall. 

"Majors in line," He said. The majors' horses got in a straight line in front of the brick gate.

"Majors retrieve your weapons." The Majors took their muskets off their backs.

"Majors forward." The horses advanced toward the gate.

"My boremse izo vsekh sil!"  The Colonel yelled, raising his arm towards the cloudy sky.

"Dlya vsekh ostal'nykh!" Everyone in the army shouted. The quotes were Russian for, "We fight our best, for all the rest."

The Colonel got back to his commanding. 

"Majors prepare Operation Blow the Hall," The Colonel said. The Majors got off their horses and walked to the gate. They placed the end of their muskets on the keystones.

"Majors commence Operation Blow the Hall." The Majors shot into the wall.

"Majors retreat!" The Majors quickly ran from the falling brick segment.

"All Soldiers Charge!" The entire army, the 149 of them ran in. The Sergeants ran to the foundation beams and began to fire. Bricks were flying out of their spot, into the streets of Fairbanks. The recruits began to come, and the lieutenants fired on them. As much as fifteen Canadian soldiers died in ten seconds due to the Russian's firing. The Colonels shot off three doors, which the sergeants began to loot and destroy. Gunpowder was everywhere. One Canadian soldier fainted of black powder inhalation, and died twenty minutes later. Canadian minutemen began firing on the Sergeants, and some were shot. But most were young an flexible, and escaped. Only 13 Sergeants died, 10 of which were first sergeants. The main battle took place after a Canadian private shot one of the three colonels, and the Russians charged. Since it took place on the roof area, blood spilled from as far as a quarter mile away. Thirty minutes into the battle, 63 Russian lives had been lost and 75 Canadian ones. Some sneaky lieutenants stayed in a storage area, and spilled some gunpowder on a wood table. Then they shot it, and it caught fire. Smoke was filling up, and the duo of lieutenants left. Soon, smoke spilled out the room, and some fire. Most soldiers evacuated to stores in Carmen West, but 20 soldiers still stayed. They fired rapidly, until it came to a duel between a Canadian and a Russian. The Russian lost, but the Canadian burned. Carmen Hall came crashing down, along with most of  the nearby Russian fort Landbay #CDLXXI (471), and four stores in Carmen West. It was a tragic event, and is still remembered today by many nearby Eskimos whom witnessed nearby funerals. The day after the battle, it was declared a Russian victory. But could Canada strike back?