3. Becoming a Glader

I woke up to the sun beaming through the window onto my face as I came back to my reality and I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in," I spoke through my raspy voice as I sat up and saw Newt entre my room with a smile on his face.

"Good morning sunshine," He spoke softly "I have a surprise for you." he shook the box in his hand. Then walked over and placed it down on my bed as I sat up and made space for him. "It has girly things in it and stuff you'll need. Now sort through it and come get some breakfast you have a big day ahead of you." He instructed as he walked out of my room and closed the door. I heard the boys down the hallway stir and begin messing around with each other. I took the lid off the basket to find a photo frame that would look to fit my picture. Some denim shorts, more cargo pants and jeans, a few shirts in different colours and tank tops. Hair ties and a hair brush, toothbrushes, pads and tampons with a pretty little box for each, bar of soap, some hair product and some underwear and bras. All of the clothes fit perfectly and I packed them away into a draw, beside some shorts and a purple t shirt as I walked to the bathroom. I got into the shower which was kinda cold and washed off all the dirt and everything and got out and dried myself off with a towel. Then quickly slipping on the clothing and the sneakers and put the rest of my things back into my room and left.

I walked out of the homestead as Alby grabbed me and told me to come with him as we walked over to this wall.

"This are all that have come, been and some even lose, Your one of us now." He said pointing to the wall with carved names. He left to carve my name into the wall and I began heading back to the kitchen where Newt was waiting outside.

"Ah I've seen you've finally made it." he said messing up my hair as we went into Fry's kitchen and got some egg on toast with juice. Newt and I walked out to the tables and sat down as more boys piled out with food and took seats. We ate slowly in silence, the food was pretty good.

"So what am I doing today?" I asked

"Before lunch Gardening, after lunch Track Hoe. Tomorrow Cooking all day. Day after that before lunch Bricknicks after lunch Builders, then next day after that before lunch Slicer than after lunch Med Jack" He said between bites of food.

"Got it, will you be following me around or will I report to you at the end of the day?" I asked.

"I will check in to make sure everything is good and if your not doing well we will move you on." he replied.

"I will be following you around all week though, its my rotation because I am a slopper. I am to young to have a set job that I am good at." Chuck smiled as he joined us at the table.

"Well thank god at least I will have someone I properly know," I smiled.

"Don't worry about the rest of the Gladers, they already love you, being their friend will be easy." Chuck smiled. When we finished Chuck, Newt and I walked over to a big boy with fluffy whiteish hair, Newt spoke a few words to him as I saw Quill and waved at him.

"Cora, this is Zart keeper of the Gardeners and Track-Hoes, your two jobs today" Newt smiled

"Hi, I am Cora" I held my hand out

"Hey, I know who are, no need to introduce yourself" Zart smiled shaking my hand. "Now Chuck and Cora, I have a few many jobs for you. Chuck get the fertilizer and Cora I will need you to help trim and cut plants leaves and harvest. Now you Shanks get to work." He smiled.

"Zart can Cora at least do one fertilizer run with me, I get so bored on my own," Chuck said.

"Okay maybe after she does a few things here she will help" Zart smiled patting the young boys shoulders. I walked over to Quill and picked up a set of clippers and began cutting trimming things with him. We had mindless conversations for a while and after we finished and showed Zart we were instructed to get some buckets and get fertilizer with Chuck who was ahead of us. Reluctantly Quill and I headed into the woods with baskets and spades.