Chapter 19: Heart-to-Heart

"Republic Gunships incoming! All deck crew prepare for unload and service routine!" shouted Castille shouted over the PA as the two massive doors that concealed the underground sewer turned into the hangar of the Heldian Guard HQ.

Several gunships entered the makeshift hangar and landed. As the bay doors slid open Krest was the first out- Na'lona in his arms he ran for the nearest medic and handed her over. "She needs immediate medical attention! Don't even know what she's gone through."

The medic nodded and took Na'lona in her arms and hurried off to the infirmary. Krest watched Na'lona and her dead expression as she was carried off. His jaw clenched and he tightened his fist as the image Rakarth filled his head.

"I'll look after her sir," Fodder said, patting Krest on the back as he followed the medic.

Krest merely nodded faintly, slumping down onto a crate and removing his helmet. His eyes drew to the smears of Na'lona's blood on his forearm plates. Poor girl didn't deserve this.

"We're more in common than you think." came Rex's voice. Krest looked up and saw Rex pulling a crate up to sit adjacent to him. "You know, us and her."

"That right?" Krest muttered, brushing his hair back.

"Neither of us volunteered to be here, we just got dropped into the heat of battle. But the difference being, she's not a soldier." Rex explained.

"She's just a kid." Krest shook his head. "This ain't a place for someone like her."

"This ain't a place for anyone." Rex sighed. "But freedom comes at a cost, and it's our turn to foot the bill." Rex placed a hand on Krest's shoulder, "That's why we fight isn't it? So that those like her don't have to go through this."

Krest nodded, his mind replaying the moment where Na'lona was paraded in front of them over and over. "Yeah..."

"Hey," Rex moved to make Krest look at him, "She'll get hers soon."

Krest took a deep breath and patted Rex on the shoulder, "Damn right she will. Thanks, Rex."

"We gotta remind ourselves why we're here and why we strap the holsters on." Rex said, giving a comforting smile.

"Captain!" called Arroyo as she walked through the hangar.

Krest looked up from the datapad that he, Shellshock, and Deuce, were looking over. He handed the datapad to Deuce who promptly had it ripped out of his hands by Shaman with a quick "Give it here Boyo," and turned towards Arroyo.

"Corporal," Krest greeted with a quick tip of the head. "What can I do for you?"

Arroyo folded her arms and grinned, "So serious, smile Captain! C'mon, take a walk with me, I gotta go deliver this list to the Quartermaster."

"Sorry Corporal, I gotta brief these two o-"

"Don't worry about us Cap'n!" Shellshock said with a grin, waving him off. "You go ahead with the Corporal, we got it here!"

"Looks like your schedule just cleared up." Arroyo Smiled.

"Looks like it did." Krest nodded, tucking his helmet under his arm. "Let's go.

The pair left Shaman and Deuce to their devices and headed for the Quartermaster. As they walked, Arroyo ran down the list.

"Fifteen DC-15As, three DC-15s, four DC-17s, and a backpack full of grenades."

"That's a lot of hardware." Krest pointed out.

"Yeah that's the gear for the recon corps. They're sending out a detachment tonight to scout the surrounding area, 'see if the Bionic Woman's droids are still clunking about." Arroyo explained. "I just can't wait till we get into the real action."