Epilogue

There was chaos after Krest and his team went after Rakarth. In a bid to stall the Republic forces closing in on her, she detonated thousands of explosives that leveled her entire fortress. Those on the lower floors were wiped out completely and out of those who were on the upper floors, less than half managed to get to safety before the entire fortress imploded. After the dust settled it was onto search and rescue. Bric who had barely made it out just in time defied the medics who demanded he be bedridden. With an arm in a sling and his neck in a brace, he coordinated the first searches for survivors. Meanwhile, General Kali'sto and the 525th returned the captives safely and were soon enough on their way to their next deployment. No one had heard any word of Krest or his team. Skittar was now back on the surface leading the ground forces while Yao'l was up in space still duking it out with the Separatist fleet. They kept searching for any signs of him, his team, or the elusive General Rakarth. But there was nothing but rubble and corpses. None of which belonged to any of them.

"This is Krest, we're at the bottom of the escape elevator shaft. Rakarth has been apprehended. Requesting immediate medevac... large opening...leads to an underground hangar..."

The broadcast appeared on an ARF troopers wrist comm. The trooper was trying to tune into his sergeant's scramble set when he picked up the faint chatter. Immediately the Bric and Skitarr were contacted and the search was on for the 'large opening' that was described. Fly-by surveys, ground-team search parties, even a few tracking animals were brought out (courtesy of Commander Castille). After a lengthy search, the opening was found. Rather, it was a large corvette-sized hole in the ground that led to a deep tunnel. Gunships were sent in and they discovered the underground hanger that Krest had spoken of in his broadcast.

Bric was first off the gunship. Krest was his friend, they were batchmates and he'd saved Bric's life more times than he counted. It was now his turn to save him. Shellshock, Deuce, and Shaman were recovered from the elevator and immediately taken for medical treatment. Rakarth was found in a shuttle, wounded and unconscious. She managed to make her way to the cockpit before she collapsed. The Coruscant Guard was called in and they took her into custody. Bric, Fodder, Triage, and Snapback scoured the hangar desperately for Krest. Using scanners they followed the source of his broadcast and tracked it down to a dark corner of the hangar.

"There he is," Fodder said, his voice cracking.

Sat up against a stack of crates, there he was. Slumped over, blaster in hand. It took a moment for Bric to catch up with the others, but when he saw his old friend he immediately dropped to his knees.

"His comm is still on..." Triage pointed out. "He went out doing what he always did...protecting his men."

***

As soon as Vera had heard that Krest was located she begged the medics to let her leave to go see him. Despite still being weak from having been hooked up to those sadistic contraptions. She shoved past troopers, militia, and even past General Skitarr who immediately turned and grabbed her by the arm. Skittar was shocked at how frail her arm was. The last time she'd seen her she was built like a soldier and could hold her own against her own men.

"Corporal, please-"

"General, please! I need to see he's alright!" Vera begged, trying her best to pull away from Skitarr's grip. But she was too weak to even make her budge. Her words struck Skitarr in her soul. She knew what was going on between them and while Krest never let it affect his duties, it was this scenario that she feared the most. Vera's eyes pleaded with her. "Please, General..."

Skitarr steeled her expression and dropped her head. "The barracks, he's there...just...prepare yourself."

Skitarr let her go and Vera ran off toward the barracks, shoving past even more men as she rounded the corner and eventually arrived at the barracks. Two troopers with red markings on their armor were standing guard at the door, DC-15s held at their shoulders. When she tried to enter the troopers side-stepped in her way, blocking the door.

"Madam, this is a restricted area. Unauthorized personnel are not allowed inside." One of them said robotically.

"LET ME IN! I NEED TO SEE HIM!"

"Madam! It's time for you to leave!-"

Suddenly the door whooshed open and Bric stepped out, looking furious.

"WHO'S MAKING ALL THAT RACKE-" Bric froze once he saw who was being apprehended. His expression turned from fury to sorrow as he patted one of the troopers on the shoulder. "Let her through."

The trooper nodded and the two stepped aside and Vera walked in. She followed Bric over to a group of men. Fodder, Triage, Shellshock, Deuce, Snapback, and Shaman, were standing around a large box. Shellshock, Deuce, and Shaman were on crutches, in braces, and slings. They all looked up at her and the pain in their eyes told her everything she needed to know. She dropped to the floor, sobbing as she hugged the box, rocking back and forth. It took everyone everything they had not to break down with her. Bric's lip quivered as he placed a hand on her back.

"I...I don't know much about love or anything like that. And I'm sure he didn't know much either. But I do know..." Bric choked on every word as he spoke. "I do know one thing...he truly cared greatly for you. Just as much, if not more than he cared for any of his brothers."

"Skipper used to talk about you in his sleep." Shaman gave a weak laugh.

Vera looked up at Bric, her hands trembled as they ran up and down, caressing the box. "C-can, I...can I see...him?"

A single tear ran down Bric's cheek as he slowly shook his head. "It's better this way, I don't think he'd want the last time you saw him to be him in a casket."

Vera nodded, looking back down at the box and planting a kiss onto it.

***

Bric sat Vera down at a desk and placed a holoprojector down in front of her.

"Krest recorded this before he went after the General. He wanted me to deliver this to you if I ever saw you again."

Bric turned the holoprojector on and walked out of the room to give her privacy. Vera scooted forward in her chair as a holographic bust of Krest appeared. His hair was faded and his mustache was trimmed neatly just as he always did.

"Vera...I remember once I told you that we couldn't be together. Maybe it was just my fears. After all, in my line of work...there really is no happily ever after. When all this is over, you get to go back to your old life. And me, well...I get back in formation and head for the next campaign. You've been gone for a while now. I don't know if I'll ever see you again. I'm not even sure you're still alive; part of me doesn't even want to ponder the idea. But it's that hope that I'll get to see you again, even for a moment, that drives me forward. If this mission is indeed my last...I wanted to give you something to remember me and all the troopers who fought alongside you. When you're ready, check the trunk in your quarters back at the Heldian HQ. I'm sure Bouncer would have been proud to have someone wear his armor and carry the torch..."

There was chatter in the background of the recording as Krest looked off to the side and nodded.

"Looks like things are about to get a lot more hectic. I'm supposed to chase that warlord down an escape elevator we found." Krest gave a small chuckle as he looked back up at Vera. "You asked me a while ago what I wanted to do after the war was over. Where I saw myself. I gave it a lot of thought. I guess I'd have to say...so long as I'm with you, I don't care where I end up."