Chapter 16: The Home Guard

1900 hours, 21 BBY

Infirmary, Heldian Guard Headquarters, Corrin Sector, Planet Heldia

"Look who's awake!" said a woman's voice cheerfully.

"He's blaster bait for sure, but he's one tough piece o' hardtack." said a clone's voice.

Krest opened his eyes and was met with the faces of Shaman and an unknown woman. The woman had her hair cut short and wore the standard grey BDUs that the other Heldian Guard wore under their armour. He was laying on a stretcher and was undressed from his torso up.

"Shaman?" Krest mumbled. "Where-"

"We're at the Heldian Guard HQ." Shaman explained. "Pretty soon after the second wave hit a runner came and said we got the order to fall back. A mortar hit and you got knocked unconscious. Fortunately for you, no shrapnel went through your helmet. The Corporal here carried you all the way to the transport."

"You're a lot heavier than you look by the way." the Corporal pointed out.

"Corporal...Arroyo?" Krest asked.

The Corporal nodded. "That's right, I'm gonna have to foot you the bill for my back surgery."

Krest didn't recognize her without the face paint and her gear on.

"Who made it out?" Krest asked

Shaman's expression grew grim. "We lost a lot of men. Scraps tried to follow through with the General's plan. He met up with Shellshock and their team tried to retake the array. Only Shellshock made it back."

"Jeez," Krest muttered, feeling a lump in his throat. Then he remembered Skitarr's orders, the very ones that Scraps tried to follow through. "Where is she?"

"The General? Her and Yao'l are in a meeting with Commander Castille," Shaman explained.

"In the meantime, I can take you to talk to your wounded comrade Captain" Arroyo suggested.

"I think that's a good idea," Shaman nodded. "Pretty sure you're sick of staying in hospital beds by now, eh Skipper?"

"I guess I can go for a walk." Krest nodded in agreement, swinging his legs around and standing up.

Shaman shot up to help Krest up. "Careful now Skipper, you're still a bit shaken up."

"I'm okay Shaman." Krest assured.

"Don't worry trooper, I'll carry him if he falls." Arroyo joked, standing up and motioning for Krest to follow her.

Krest followed Arroyo out of his corner and the pair walked along the rows of curtains that concealed stretchers and hospital beds containing wounded. The infirmary seemed to be housed in some kind of tunnel system from what Krest could tell looking at the architecture of the corridors.

"So Captain, you wanna talk to your buddy first, or would you like the grand tour?" Arroyo asked.

"Uhm, I'd like to speak to Shellshock first, ma'am," Krest replied.

"Shellshock? You clone boys have the funniest names." Arroyo chuckled.

"Do we? Well in an army where everyone looks and talks like you, sometimes a name is the only thing that can set you apart." Krest explained.

"Speaking of standing out, you sure have quite the appearance Captain-," Arroyo noted.

"Krest. My name is Krest." Krest interjected.