Chapter 22: Our Finest Hour

"Incoming's too hot!"

"FOR THE REPUBLIC!"

"Karabast! That was a troop transport!"

"What happened to 'softened defenses'?!"

"First wave ineffective! I repeat, first wave ineffective! We do not hold a landing zone!"

1 Hour Earlier

"ALL DROP TROOPS REPORT TO HANGAR BAYS THREE THROUGH FIVE FOR TRANSPORT BOARDING. HEAVY WEAPONS TEAMS REPORT TO BAY SEVEN FOR FINAL EQUIPMENT CHECK AND BOARDING."

Both clones and militia scrambled about. Some carrying their weapons, others crates of munitions. The Heldian HQ and all Republic installations in the sector were alive with the breath of warfare. Tanks and gunships were loaded and ready to go. This was it. If they succeeded here, the war on Heldia would come to a swift end and the Republic could return Heldia and its citizens to normal life.

"General, if I may, a word?" Krest said, stopping General Skitarr mid-step as she walked past him.

The Jedi folded both hands in front of her and turned to him. She may not have that hellfire in her eyes anymore but Krest still felt her steel gaze as he looked at him. In every battle, Krest was prepared to die. And this one was no different. But something inside him, made him decide that he needed to put these tensions with Skitarr to rest. If she wasn't going to improve then he was.

"Yes, what is it, Captain?" Skitarr said in her usual stoic tone that she adopted whenever she talked to him. At first, Krest was happy to adopt the same tone and even throw a passive-aggressive jab here and there. But at this point, he was just plain tired of it all. No sense in keeping a feud going if it lost all meaning.

"I have made up my mind about something." Krest began. He stared at the ground for a few moments before meeting her steely eyes with his own. "Despite whatever has happened in the past, despite whatever has come between us. I want to say that it is all in the past."

Skitarr looked confused. She no doubt knew what he meant, but Krest wasn't a wordsmith by any means.

"I see..." Skitarr muttered.

"Look, you can't undo what you did. Whatever your reasoning for-"

"Captain, I-"

"JUST, listen...this stops here and now. I forgive you, for whatever merit that holds to you." Krest sighed. Sometimes he wished he had the emotionlessness of a droid. It would make situations like this a whole lot easier. He brushed his matted hair back with one hand. It'd been a while since he got a touch-up. He grabbed his helmet from the table before putting it on and extending his hand. "We cannot undo the past, but hopefully by putting all of this behind us, we can pave a better future."

Skitarr looked at his hand, then at him. Her expression was first of confusion then it softened to one of gratitude as she shook his hand. And for the first time since they've met, she gave an endearing smile. As they shook hands a group of troopers approached them. Many were squad leaders while others were part of the artillery detachment. Krest's squad was there as well.

"Sir, everything is ready to go! Just awaiting your command." one of them reported with a quick salute.

"Right," Skitarr nodded, "Run a final check and board your transports."

"Yes, sir!" the trooper nodded and the crowd dispersed.

Krest took the moment to nudge her and whisper, "Say something to inspire them."

Skitarr nodded to herself and cleared her throat to regain their attention. "Uh, gather around men. I'd like to say something."

The troopers looked at each other with confusion. As they slowly gathered around her Krest quietly stepped back and left her at the forefront. As they did more men joined the crowd as it slowly grew.