Chapter 13: Time to Get Serious

I woke up on Kai's comfortable black leather couch with my mask covering my face loosely. I knew that I must've passed out. It's been so long since I've breathed in the fresh air that I forgot what I felt like in my lungs. The only 'air' that I had been breathing and gotten used to was the Tranquilizing Gas. I had only hoped that Kai hadn't seen my face at the very least. I wouldn't be able to bear the embarrassment if any of them saw my face.

I leaped up from the couch, instantly greeted with my lightheadedness. I felt dizzy and ended up stumbling into the kitchen to get a grip. I fastened my loosely done mask tighter, making sure to cover my mouth and nose as well. I strode over to the cold, marble steps, ignoring the dizziness I was experiencing. Though I did have to stop for a moment to make the dizziness stop, I continued forward until I spotted Kai exiting his bedroom.

     "Uh, h-hi! Um, how'd you sleep?" Kai asked.

     "I slept well, I think. Say, you didn't happen to see-..." I motioned towards my face so that I wouldn't have to continue speaking.

     "No, but my parents did. They told me you were absolutely beautiful."

     I blushed a little, they think I'm...beautiful? I wondered to myself.

     The whole reason why I cover my face is because of a scar from the burning incident. They couldn't salvage a part of my face so they just let it turn into a scar instead. Every time I look into the mirror and take off my mask I realize that I was still stuck with that retched scar! The scar went from my left upper cheek and stopped at the corner of my mouth. I was starting to think that they were either blind or just didn't realize that there was a big ass scar on my face, which would prove that they're blind either way.

I sneered at the thought of others seeing my horrid face and my stupid scar. Unlike other kids, my worst fear wasn't the dark or the boogeyman, it wasn't doctors or needles—Hell, I'd been stuck with doctors and needles all my life, I don't have a reason to be afraid of them when I can just kick their asses—my worst fear was people judging me for my face. I had only prayed that Kai wouldn't get curious over my reasoning. My mind snapped back to reality when I realized that Kai and I were just staring at each other. I cleared my throat, awkwardly heading towards the guest bedroom.

When I got to the guest bedroom, I immediately looked at the clock and realized it was nearly time for dinner.

     "Well, at least I got to sleep for once," I muttered to myself.

     I couldn't complain because I only got a few hours of sleep every week. I shrugged casually, changing out of the dirty clothes that I had been wearing since yesterday. While taking off my shirt, my mask had slipped off of my face. I kneeled, picking up the mask that shielded my scar. Gazing down at the mask, I got horrifying flashbacks from when the plastic surgeon that worked on my severely singed body told me that he couldn't save a part of my face.

I sighed, throwing the mask onto the small bed. I changed into some comfortable shorts and over-sized, black T-shirt. Just as I was pulling the shirt over my shoulders, I heard a light knocking at the door.

     "Come in!" I said.

     "Hey, sorry to disturb you but I was just wondering if you've see my-," I heard Kai pause.

     I churned my head slightly that that he would only see my eye. He had stopped in his tracks when he saw me changing and stared. Kai turned a deep red when he realized he was staring. I pulled my shirt down all the way and quickly grabbed my mask. I held the mask up to my face with one hand while my free hand made sure my mask was secured around my face and head.

     "Sorry about that, what were you looking for?" I blushed.

     "I-I was looking for my p-phone. Have you s-seen it?" Kai stuttered.

     "No, I haven't seen it. Check downstairs. You might've left it there."

     "O-Okay, I'll check. Oh! By the way, d-dinner's ready. Mum wanted me to tell y-you," Kai turned away sheepishly.