Chapter 7: Nightlife

A sudden scream echoed through the streets of Tokyo, Japan. The bloodcurdling, terrifying scream is what sent chills down my spine. I could tell Kai felt terrified. Our eyes widened when the silence was broken in that split second. It almost felt like a dream; hazy, fuzzy, unreal.

How could a moment like this be ruined?

I immediately said my goodbyes to Kai and sprinted down a nearby alleyway.

"Hey, wait! Where are you going?!"

"I'm sorry, but I need to go! I'll catch you tomorrow," I shouted over my shoulder so Kai would be able to hear me.

As soon as I entered the alley, I activated my Shadow Manipulation Peculiarity, allowing me to sink into the shadows. I instantly teleported to the alley opposite of the one I entered, giving me a good view of where Kai was. Sure enough, as I expected, Kai rushed into the dead-ended alley in an attempt to search for me. I heard Kai shout my name, he was visibly confused. I chuckled at how helpless he looked.
I snapped out of it and became one with the darkness again. I teleported to the abandoned building where I resided. I found the bag with my weapon and my mask, switching my clothes out with the costume in the bag. I slid the matching Katanas over my back swiftly, taking my gas mask on to replace it with the black and gold mask with the Sakuras painted on it. I ran to the edge of the rooftop, only to be met with a quiet gust of wind blowing against my face.
I listened closely. After a bit, I heard shouting and more desperate screaming. I looked down at the streets from the five-story building, feeling the sudden urge to jump down. Without giving it a second thought, I leaped off of the building. I closed my eyes, only opening them again to activate my Demon-Angel Peculiarity.
As soon as I did this, my halos, wings, small horns, and tail flickered into view. Before I knew it, my small, delicate wings grew larger and stronger than ever, allowing me to glide towards the voice I heard. I let myself land in the middle of an empty, almost deserted roadside. I listened for the familiar voice that desperately screamed for help. I followed the voice until it led me to the side of an apartment building on the outskirts of the city.
A woman was being held in a chokehold by a tall, maybe 6'0, well-built man in all black. I hid behind the corner, only poking my head out a bit to assess the situation. There was a man, probably around 5'9, and pudgy around the waist accompanying the woman. He had his hands up in the air as the attacker held a knife to the woman's throat. The woman screamed, the man begged for her life, yet the attacker stayed firm and quiet.

"Stop screaming or I'll slit your throat," the attacker said coolly.

My eyes narrowed as I thought of what to do. I now had my back against the wall. My breathing was calm and quiet, yet I was silently praying that everything would turn out all right as I tried hatching a plan in my mind. I jumped out from behind the wall, grabbing the shorter man by his collar, throwing him out of the way to switch places with him. I turned my body sideways, my back leg further behind me.

"Well, would you look at that, a stranger coming to 'save the day'? Hmph, and who would you be," the attacker asked mockingly.

"Your worst damn nightmare," I spoke with a dangerous, cunning tone, silently eyeing the knife in the man's hand.

I bent my knees, getting into a fighting stance. The taller man didn't seem intimidated but stood his ground, not letting his guard down. He held the knife even closer to the woman's neck. She struggled and squirmed in his grip. The man glanced from me to the woman and back.

"Take a step closer and you can kiss this woman's life goodbye," the man held the knife at one end of the woman's neck, preparing to slit her throat.

At this point the woman was crying and begging for her life, only to be commanded into silence by her attacker. I stood my ground firmly. I looked the man dead in the eyes and slowly reached for my Katanas. The man noticed this and put pressure against the woman's throat with his knife, nicking her skin until a drop of blood dribbled onto the knife. I gripped the handles of my Katanas, slowly unsheathing them until the meteorite blades shimmered from the moon's reflection.
The moonstones embedded into the handles glowed faintly, signaling there was a full moon on the rise. I smirked, causing my mask to shift a bit when I saw a street lamp suddenly flicker on. I put my Katanas in an 'X' shape, shifting them just right until they caught the light of the lamp, reflecting into the attacker's eyes. Luckily, the street lamp's light was just enough to stun someone's vision for a split second. And that was all I needed.
Within that split second, I managed to rush up to the man, grip onto his wrist and twist it firmly, making him drop the bloody knife. I saw the shorter man pull the woman away from the attacker's grip, dragging her to safety while making sure she wasn't hurt anywhere else. The attacker tried turning my self-defense moves against me, to which I round-housed him in the face with the heel of my work boot. I heard a crack come from his jaw and winced. I smirked when the man passed out after groaning in pain.