Chapter 6: Freedom at Long Last

I can't believe I'm going out into the world. Out into the streets of Tokyo at night. Anything could happen in a few hours. I wonder what I'll do at that time?

   I was excited to go out and see Tokyo at night. I've seen it before but never really got a good look, I was more focused on finding a place to stay and finding food. Who knew what would happen? It was unnerving, yet, at the same time, it was so much to take in. Never in my life had I felt so...alive.

   "Maybe it won't be so bad," I mumbled to myself slowly, trying to calm down.

There I was, on the rooftop of the abandoned building, getting ready for what felt like was going to be the best night of my life.

   "I should dress in something nice. At least, something nice from what I have."

   No doubt, all of my clothes are very nice. But was this more of date or something? If it was, then I wanted to look my best. And I didn't want to go on a date if Kai was dressed all fancy and I was in casual wear. I dug into my bag, pulling out the thin piece of paper that was slightly crumpled.

   'Hey, Kai. So, I have a question,' I texted Kai a few hours before I had to meet up with him.

   'Sup, Mizukage! What's up?'

   My slender fingers typed rapidly. I didn't want Kai to wait for a reply.

   'So, um...i-is this like- like a date?' I typed into my phone before pressing send.

   'Only if you want it to be, 😉' Kai answered.

   'I- I only asked if it was more like a date so that I knew if I had to dress nice,' My face flushed as I thought of why he replied with a cheesy pickup line.

   'You can dress however you want. I don't mind,'

   'Thx. Cya at 7:30?' I typed.

   'Yup! Cya then, Mizukage!'

   "The hell is up with the winking faces?" I shrugged, not bothering to question it.

   I sighed in relief, thankful that I didn't have to wear anything fancy-schmancy or anything that involved a dress.

   "It's not like I have anything fancy, to begin with. So, at least I don't have to worry about that," I muttered to myself, grabbing the bag that had my clothes and personal things.

   I sat down and started digging through my bag to find something nice to wear. After a few minutes of picking out an outfit, I sped down the empty, quiet stairwell, leaving behind my bags. As soon as I got to the back exit that led to an alleyway, I rushed to the vandalized bathroom that I walked into a few days prior. I knocked a few times to see if anybody was in there. I didn't hear anybody so I let myself in.
   As soon as I walked into the dirty, uncared restroom, I closed the door behind me, locking it in the process. I felt a jolt of happiness rush through my veins as I tried on the outfit I picked out. I looked at the mirror and saw a nicely dressed version of me in the reflection. I had picked out a dark green decorative jacket with gold buttons, a black crop top, black ripped jean shorts with fishnets underneath, and black work boots to go with it. To top it all of, I put half of my thick, long, curly hair in two buns on top of my head, leaving half of my hair alone.
I casually started poofing my hair in the mirror so it looked nice. I didn't have a clue as to why I had the urge to look at least presentable, yet I felt the need to. Deep down I knew that I wanted to be accepted, but I wouldn't show it. I didn't need to feel and look desperate. I had only came here a few days ago, I wanted to make a good impression.