Blood at the Doorstep

The Rake's face twists with amusement as it watches mine muddle with confusion. The girls eye me with concern as I sit down to eat my food. I'll be damned if I tell them about this... and so will everyone else.

The Rake clambers onto the table and crouches over my food as Clocky and Lulu start talking to each other about how their training is coming along. I can't focus on what they're saying. I nod and smile, but I have to do it with the Rake's face in mine.

After laughing like a hyena, it rolls out of the way and into a chair before putting its cracked feet on the table. The Rake moves one in front of my nose and I almost puke before I lean away from it.

"Are you alright, (Y/N)?" Lulu asks me, making Ann turn her head to me.

"Huh?" My mind snaps back to reality, "Yeah, I'm- I'm ok. I haven't been able to sleep as much these past few days. Think I fucked up my sleep schedule."

Clocky points her spoon at me, "Well, maybe you should stop stayin' up so late!"

I squeeze my legs under the table, "It'll take some time for me to adjust. My training's been getting in the way, sometimes."

The Rake slams its heel down on the table and huffs, glaring at me with empty, black eye sockets. Lulu and Clocky seem to accept my lie but Ann squints at me, choosing not to comment despite her knowing gaze.

I turn my head at the sound of footsteps – which the Rake does too – and see Tobi and Benny file into the room. Benny's hair is frizzy and uncombed along with Tobi's. Tobi enters while stretching her arms and freezes when she opens her eyes again. Momentarily, Tobi puts her arms down and reaches for a kitchen knife but stops when she sees me glancing between her and the Rake.

"You see it too?" Our gazes speak for us.

Tobi's expression sinks a bit when she connects the dots. The Rake slams the table, bursting into uncontrollable laughter before darting out of the room while Tobi and I struggle to process our impossible revelation.

The Rake runs back in, still laughing as it stops in front of Tobi, reaching out for her with malevolence. She falls backward and screams in terror, drawing the concern from everybody in the room. They interpret her reaction as a schizophrenic episode, making Benny get up to comfort her as Ann leaves for the medical room.

I stand up and lay a hand on Tobi's shoulder, "What do you see?"

"I-I..." She won't stop shaking from the presence of the monster.

"(Y/N)! The fuck kind of question is that?" Benny scolds me.

I nod, putting a hand on Tobi's back, "Right, sorry, sorry. There's... There's nothing there, Tobi. You're alright. Everyone's here."

Ann comes back to the room with a pill bottle in her hand, "Your ADHD proving troublesome again. Tobi, must I make you take your pills directly?"

Tobi takes the bottle from Ann without a word, doing her best to avoid eye-contact with the Rake. It does its best to plunge her into ceaseless discomfort by looping a thin arm around her neck and grinning at me.

The Rake leans down to her, "Where did all that energy go, Tobi? You're as scared as a babe. I thought we were friends!"

"Tobi, let's go outside for some fresh air. It'll do you good," I grasp her arm protectively.

At the touch of my hand, I feel her muscles lose their tension as if I were siphoning it to myself. She nods to me, looking down at the floor to avoid the Rake's gaze and clinging to my clothes as we move to the front door. I push open the great ornamental doors and hold them open for Tobi. The Rake follows close behind her, hands behind its back as it studies the effects of its harrassment in my facial expression.