Opened Eyes

The fleeting memories of a nightmare disappear with the darkness of my eyelid as I wake up to a rainy morning. I rub my eye, only recalling snapshots of a crow picking at the corpse of a black sheep. I strain my mind to remember more, but I give up soon afterward.

Sitting up, I glance over at Scarecrow who still lies asleep on my bed, the covers pulled over her face. I stand up and silently walk over to the bathroom and turn on the shower, stepping into the marble enclosure where I close the glass door, the steam beginning to cloud the surface.

What would Jane think, waking up from death only to find her killer lounging in the same mansion as herself? Would she want revenge like she did with Jess? The other girls will get used to Scarecrow with time, but it's Jane that I'm worried about.

I step out of the shower and sigh, the steam trapped in the room becoming asphyxiating. After wrapping a towel around myself, I open the door and peek out to see if Scarecrow's still asleep. In doing so, I also notice my TV switch off. Odd.

I slip into some fresh clothes inside the closet before turning the light off and entering my bedroom again. The TV switches off once again. I smirk and step back into the closet, keeping the door open ever-so-slightly. The light of the TV screen shines onto the bed. I crawl back into the room, sitting under the light of the TV until I hear the crackle of electricity.

Benny pokes her head out of the portal, staring at the closet with a puzzled expression. I reveal myself, to her surprise, and pull her out of the screen as I clasp my hand over her mouth. Her squeak is muffled under my palm as I glance at Scarecrow's sleeping self.

I lean close to her ear, still looking to see if Scarecrow has stirred or not, and whisper, "Why are you spying on me?"

Benny whispers back as I escort her into the hallway, "Trying to make sure you're not dead!"

"You think Scarecrow would try to kill me?" I shut the door behind us, "Who do you think I am? I've got the instinct to wake up at the slightest hint of danger."

She pokes my chest, frustration in her voice, "That's not the point! No one can put their trust in Scarecrow; she's gotta earn that!"

I grab Benny's arm before she can walk away, "I know you care a lot about me. I couldn't bear to leave you in danger either, Benny, but you all need to treat me as an equal, not a defenseless child. Whether you want to or not, you'll learn that Scarecrow's a good person deep down. Stalk me a little less, please? You might not like Scarecrow, but you can – at the very least – respect my privacy!"

"But-" Benny looks up at me with worried, red eyes.

I kiss her mouth shut and pat her head, "Think about it, Benny. Please?"

She traps me in a hug, "Don't let her turn you against us, (Y/N)."

With her true fears surfacing, I stand in front of her with no words of reassurance. Benny leaves down the hall with a nod before going back into her room.

Entering my own, I see Scarecrow sitting up in bed. She lifts her head when she sees me enter, showing a soulless expression written across her face. Before I know it, a frown dominates my own face as well.

"How much did you hear?" I ask.

She slides out from under the covers, "All of it."

Closing the door, I sigh, "I didn't realize you were awake."

Scarecrow shakes her head, "It takes more than mean words and a hiss to put me down, (Y/N)."

I cross my arms, "They won't try anything while I'm around. That's a promise."