Spectre

"You let him get away?" Slenda stands up from her office chair to glare down at Jill and I.

"I don't want to give you excuses," I begin, trying not to step back, "but he took me by surprise."

"I do not care! This is why we have the Rule of Two; it is not a suggestion, it is our law! It is how we survive, avoid capture, and eliminate the chances of... this! This whole mess!" Slenda sighs and sits back down in her chair, "You were a fool, (Y/N), to not have at least yelled for Jill while you and the fake Jeff were locked in a hold together. Did you not think to call for her when you saw the bodies?"

I let my head hang low and I smell the man's blood staining my shirt, "I was absorbed by curiosity. It won't happen again, Slenda."

She continues to scold me, "It better not! I understand that you still lack experience, but you must still use your head and think! If you had been alone, you would not have had another chance to learn from your mistakes. Never operate alone, (Y/N), no matter how confident you might be.

"At any rate, we must take action immediately. Causing problems for Slenderman already will break the trust we have so carefully fostered between our mansions. Benny should be tracking the faux Proxies already. All we must do is wait for her to acquire their location. Then, we draw them out, gather them in one place, and make the world forget they ever tread upon the earth."

Jill and I glance at each other, ashamed to have tossed another problem onto Slenda's already massive plate. If we were to sunder the new friendship between us and this world's Proxies, then we will have already lost to Zalga.

Slenda folds her hands together, "As frustrated as I am, seeing you both safe is a relief to me. If that impersonator had not felt like torturing you, he might have cut your throat open on the spot. We may be hunters, (Y/N), but even we have our own predators to hide from. Never lower your guard outside of this mansion."

"As I said before, it won't happen again. You have my word as your Proxy," I promise her.

Slenda nods, trusting in my vow, "Good. Also, Rouge and Jess want to see you, by the way."

"For what?" I ask.

"Something about taking your skillset to a higher level. See them for the details," Slenda dismisses the two of us.

Jill bows to Slenda which, although unusual, I replicate. It seems I don't yet have full knowledge of the culture of the Proxies. Sometimes I forget that I've only been here for less than a year. Jill and I leave the office and head upstairs to get changed.

I try to push the weight off my shoulders, "It's my fault that Slenda yelled at you. Sorry."

"Forget about it," Jill glances back at me, "Slenda scolds us all the time, but she knows we can't be prepared for everything no matter how experienced we might be. Punishment can only push people so far and Slenda knows that."

"Her judgement is clouded in the worst of moments," I say as Jill and I continue upward.

Jill picks up on what I mean, "If I had the chance to go back in time and join you in exile, I'd take it."

I shake my head as we get to the top of the steps, "I don't resent you for it. You made a choice to stay, and I respect that you were decisive. Besides, it's all in hindsight, at the end of the day."

She looks down, "That doesn't change the way I feel; I wish it was possible to change fate. Things might've turned out differently, y'know?"

Zalga's laughter rings in the back of my mind at the mention of the word "fate".

"Maybe," I mutter, locking away thoughts of our bloody future.

I want to pass her vision off as an illusion, but Zalga's too fickle to predict accurately. It could very well be a possibility. It could be inevitable. She's the type of woman to show you a lie and feed it as the truth, but she's also the type to show you the truth and let you tear yourself apart with doubt. In the case of the Apocalypse, I'll call it, a part of myself knows it is closer than I think. What will lead to it? I'd never betray the Mansion, would I?