Ghosts At Loose Ends

The sky above stares down at me without solace. The scattered clouds float across the blue, aerial sea like puffy boats. Was that really Gray? Is my schizophrenia acting up again? His face had to be a hallucination, right? Maybe it was some sort of power that Erebus used on me. Yes... maybe he tricked my mind to lure me closer just as the mirage of an oasis does in a barren desert.

Angel's screaming makes me look down again. The pitch in her voice would mute a banshee. For a moment, everyone thinks we're still under attack, and we face her with knives in hand. Instead, she's being treated by Ann, who tries to hold her down and tighten a tourniquet around her bicep.

"Keep still!" Ann grunts as she finishes the knot, flicking blood off of her hands as if she finished washing them.

The pain surging into my shoulder, forearm, and head remind me that my adrenaline's running out. Soon fatigue will set in and I'll be vulnerable to anything. I have to lay Clocky down beside the other girls. The way they lie side by side makes me think we're about to bury them. The view of it bores a hole into my stomach.

I want to vomit, but I'm more inclined to burst into tears now that the fight is finally over. I throw my mask off to wipe my face with a bloody forearm. Ann pulls a syringe out of Angel's shoulder as she finishes injecting a pain-killer. Now, Angel stops screaming as the unfamiliar sensation of pain fades away. Angel's metabolism makes the results of it instant.

Ann steps away from the shell-shocked girl after bandaging her stub. She looks around at everyone, scanning and assessing who is in the greatest need of medical attention. Angel sits up and puts her back against a tree while she grips her sword in her remaining hand. Her eyes are rooted to the ground.

My blurry vision follows Ann's body as she runs over to someone drenched head-to-toe in blood. It's Jess. She might as well have taken a bath in entrails. Her empty eyes rest upon the dead girls at her feet. Ann checks her entire body, looking for any wounds she has hidden out of pride. None are found, to Ann's shock. Jess came out unscathed. How hard was she training after our Crucible? Did our defeat really get to her that much?

Maybe I've underestimated her all this time, actually. It's hard to remember that all of these girls are strong in their own right. The problem is that they fight dirty, so their enemies do too. It's why someone as strong as Angel can lose her arm despite her boundless experience and skill. I could even compare that to how I killed Zero: from above and without warning. She had the strength to carry a weight that could make Atlas falter, yet her life was ended with a single stab.

Slenda stands up after collecting herself, "We are not out of the woods yet, my Proxies. At the moment, I have hidden our presence from any beings on my level of power. We may catch a break for at least a day. What is next is... complicated. Food, water, shelter, safety, where to set up our new mansion, healing our wounds, and reviving the girls before Zalga comes after us are our current priorities."

Jill, who is being seen to by Ann, starts her question with a shaky voice, "What do you mean? Is she going to chase after us?"

Helen elaborates, "It is entirely possible that Zalga could follow Slenda's trail and finish us off. However, Slenda has made sure to cover it. Even if Zalga does follow us with her army, they will have no idea where to start looking."

"Zalga is most likely wasting her time razing our old world into ash and dust," Slenda adds.

Benny, who has her knees pulled up to her face, looks up at Helen, "What if she's here right now? She wouldn't follow us so closely, would she?"

"There is no way of knowing, Benny," Helen tells her, "Zalga is smart enough to hide her own energy as well."

I watch Slenda help lay Jill down on the ground so she can be put to sleep. Ann pulls out her surgical tools from a large briefcase in the meantime.