Nyctophobia

There was no way to sleep after what happened. From when I'd awoken in the dead of night to sunrise, I sat on my bed with the lights on. I hadn't even noticed the daylight pouring into my room come dawn. I've never been one to see deeper meanings in dreams, but it didn't feel normal. It was too outlandish. Maybe not outlandish in the sense of fantasy, but outlandish in the experiential way.

The nightmare was so... visceral. I can still feel the dying warmth from those squishy, fleshy bodies slick with blood. In the back of my mind, those dreadful, dead eyes still leer at me. Even then, no matter how scared I was, I can't help but feel amazed by the experience.

My stomach reminds me of just how long I was awake when it whines from hunger. I head to the bathroom and brush my teeth and wash my face, studying my hands to prove to myself I'm not covered in blood.

"Calm the fuck down," I mutter to the mirror, splashing cold water onto my face again.

I head downstairs to greet an empty household. Parents are out. They left me to be in charge of the house because they believe someone my age can actually hold down the fort. Were they wrong? Kind of. I keep it clean, but haven't done much more than that. I rarely lock the doors since nothing ever happens here, either. The worst that's happened was when someone's house got vandalized, nothing more.

Making myself the same breakfast I always have, I stare out the window. Although the sun's out, the forest behind my home appears as if night had never ended for it. Trapped in the same moment, the forest canopy doesn't allow a single ray of sunlight to reach the floor. All my life, it never felt normal to me despite how often I stared into its darkness.

The phone in my pocket dings, and I nearly jump out of my skin. A text from my friend reads: "wanna meet tonight? i was thinkin wed walk around the neighborhood with the boys and talk"

I message back, "I still need to finish the PowerPoint for Ms. Fisher. What time are you thinking?"

He's absent for a moment until he shoots me a response, "11 tonight. heard there was a meteor shower around that time so maybe we can look out for that."

Smiling to myself, my fingers type out my acceptance, "Sure thing. I'll swing by at the normal meeting spot. I can finish the homework before then."

Talking to my friends had always been a way for me to forget about the responsibilities and deadlines that rule my life. They are my drugs, so-to-speak: people that help my tense soul relax.

Guess I should get started on my work. Don't want to keep them waiting or they'd tear me limb from limb.

* * *

"Holy fuck, can these assignments waste my time any longer?" The clock ticks 10:43 PM as I finally submit the rest of my work for school.

My friends are all probably on their way to the meeting spot: a big tree at the very back of our subdivision which we climb and hang out at the top of. At night, it's a haven; the wind curls about our bodies and moans between the leaves as we stare at the sky. It's blissful.

Putting on a light jacket, I enter the cold outside world as gales rip between houses, howling as if a pack of wolves had run through the place. I walk down the sidewalk to the darker side of our neighborhood. We chose to go to a sketchy place like this because there are no people around to bother us. Not to mention it was quiet and not far from our homes. I already see my trio of friends standing under the tree. A pin of orange light comes to life and then dies out beneath its leaves. Wind whooshes by, and I smell the cigarette smoke that Matt's constantly huffing.

Gray, the oldest among us, runs over and lightly punches me in the chest, "You're late. What were you up to, (Y/N)? Jerking off in the darkness?"

I nudge his rib cage with my elbow, "I told Felix I was finishing the work for Ms. Fisher. Besides, you said we were meeting at eleven."