chapter six

After what felt like hours of Sirius comforting his little brother, Regulus finally gathered up the courage to say something.

"They- they want to make me one of them, Siri." He said. Sirius' eyes widened. James knew for sure Sirius knew who the 'they' were, but he still asked.

"Who? Who wants to make you one of them, Reggie?"

"Bella. She- she convinced mother. They're giving me the Mark over break, Siri. I- I don't want to. I don't know what to do, Siri." Regulus shakingly said. He was crying, clinging to his older brother. James wanted to help him really badly, but he didn't know what to do.

"I won't let them, alright Reggie? I won't let them make you one of them. You're staying here tonight." Sirius said. Regulus nodded. Sirius told him he could use his bed and tucked Regulus in. Regulus fell asleep almost immediately. Sirius sat by the side of his bed, holding Regulus' hand, he was not going to leave his brothers' side anytime soon.

-

When James woke up, Regulus was still asleep. Sirius was sleeping in a sitting position, somehow. His head was resting on Regulus' bed, his hands still holding his little brother's hands, a part of James wanted to wake Sirius up, but all of the other parts said to just let him sleep.

He took a shower, and went down to have breakfast. He had only been sitting down for a few minutes when Snivilus interrupted his happy thoughts of Marlene and his first date.

"Hey, potter!" He shouted. "Is it true? The rumors?"

"I don't know what you're talking about Snivilus. I don't speak racist."

"Whatever, Potter. It's for your own good that I'm telling you this. But that Black kid. He's got a crush on you." Snivilus said. He walked back to the Slytherin table.

So that's supposed to make me scared? James thought Sirius is happily in love with Remus. Thank you very much.

-

Regulus slept in the Gryffindor tower now. James told the Marauders (which now included Regulus) about what Snape had said. They all burst out in laughter. The following week, Sirius often flirted dramatically with James whenever Snivilus was around.

Right now, Marauders and co (Regulus, Marlene, Mary, and Lily) were brainstorming about what to do with Regulus' situation. The best (and only) things they had come up with were 1. Regulus stays at Hogwarts this Christmas and 2. Regulus stays with the Potters this Christmas. It's not that they were bad ideas, they were just obvious. Like, obviously Regulus wasn't going to go to the Black Manor to go and become a Death Eater. At least not as long as the Marauders had something to say about it.

Tomorrow, the break would start. James had already asked his parents if Regulus would be allowed to stay, and they had happily agreed. James' parents would take anyone in their home. James knew this was because he hadn't been meant to be an only child. But fate is cruel, and sometimes the people that deserved to have many children the most didn't get them.

During dinner, Regulus sat with the Marauders. Apparently, some Slytherins had heard he didn't want the Mark, and now the entire house of Slytherin had turned against him. "A good Slytherin really is a rare thing, is it." James had said when he had heard that. Sirius and Regulus had given him the exact same death stare. "What?" He'd asked. "There are lots of good Slytherins. We're just not brave, like you guys. If you see something you think is wrong, you'll fight against it. We'll join, because we're scared, and that way, we feel like we're more in control." Regulus had said. To be honest, James did not understand how one could see something that is wrong, and just not do anything. He and Regulus hadn't said a word to each other since then. Not that they talked particularly often. Now, the Black heir was sitting in front of him, eating his 3rd extra portion of apple sauce.

"It smells like the Quidditch pitch, the snitch, a bit like Sirius when he comes back from his parents, the library, and, for some reason, apple sauce."

A/n
Tbh I couldn't come up with better ideas than the Marauders either lmao.