Chapter nine

"So. Who's gonna be your date Prongs?" Sirius said on their way back to the common room.

"I didn't think dates were required." 

"Yeah, but don't you think it'd be kinda sad for you, wormtail and Reggie to be there alone while Remus and I have the time of our lives?" Sirius said. 

"I hate you. I'm going single, thank you very much. Or I'll go with Peter." James said. "As friends!" he added when he saw Sirius' expression.

"That's boooring!!! What are you gonna do when there's a mistletoe?"

"There's gonna be a mistletoe?"

"Of course! We talked about that when we planned the party! You've got to stop daydreaming about Marls mate!"

At this point, they had reached the common room. Sirius stormed in, ran to Peter, giving the poor boy a heart attack when Sirius threw himself on him and shouted: "Hey Pete! Wanna be Prongs' date?" James mouthed a quick 'sorry' to Peter. 

"Actually, I'm going to have to say no-" Peter started, but was stopped by an overly dramatic daughter.

"Oh MaH gOsh! YOU DARE REJECT JAMES FLEAMONT POTTER! WHO WOULD DO SUCH A THING!"

"I already have a date," Peter said. His head turned a bright shade of red.

The common room was entirely quiet for the first time since it was built (Gryffindors are loud OK) Sirius and James stared at Peter with open mouths. Remus put his book down, Regulus looked up from the game of chess he had been playing with a 4th year, who was now staring at Peter as if he had grown three extra heads. Peter was just that one straight person in the gay friend group whom everyone assumed was just aroace. 

"Who?" The Marauders asked in perfect unison.

"It's a surprise."

"Please? C'mon Peteeee! Don't be such a tease! Who's the lucky one?" Sirius said.

"You'll see at the party."

Sirius grumbled something among the lines of 'I'd kill you if that didn't mean I'd never know who it is'. James thought about the 'going as friends' thing. Sirius hadn't liked it when it was him and Peter. How would he react if he went with Regulus? No, we're not doing that. James decided he'd just go alone. 

-

The days flew by, and Sirius couldn't stop talking about 'Peter's Secret Lover'.  Finally, it was the 25th of December. After Sirius waking up, turning into Padfoot and jumping on Peter's bed trying to get the name of his lover out of him, all of the Marauders were wide awake. 

"Well, I guess we could start decorating the Room Of Requirement," Regulus said sleepish.

"Are you crazy?! We have to unwrap our presents first!" James said.

"Presents? I never get presents for Christmas. And now..." Regulus said. He Looked in his lap awkwardly. 

"Good for you that we got you some!" Sirius said, after turning back to human form. Regulus' look of pure joy on his face when he saw the six presents before his bed, made James fall deeper into the hole called love.

James himself had gotten cookies, the newest Quidditch book and some quills with the colours of his favourite Quidditch team from his parents. Sirius had gotten him a mug with the best brother written on it. Sirius had, just like each year added '-est' to 'best' because James had had a 3 hour, 47 minute and 3-second rant when Sirius had misspelt it in their first year. The mug had been a tradition ever since. Remus had gotten him chocolate, and Peter had gotten him candy.