Chapter 4

300 minutes.

The sun was no longer in the sky as the moon ate the sky. The wind was blowing roughly at the streets of Rosewood, its residents frowning upon it as they wrapped their clothing tightly to their bodies. The crickets were singing their evening song loudly but inside the hospital room 102, it was eerily quiet.

The social butterfly who was constantly smiling. Just jumping through every challenge she faced in life. Even if A was constantly messing her head, she was never the type to give up.

Today, she was different.

In the middle of the room lay Lianna who was just staring blankly at the wall. She felt exhausted. Her head clouded with nothing but pain. Her tiredness made her want to sleep forever and just... rest.

Across the room, Jason sat blankly on the monoblock chair that the hospital provided for him, staring at his partner. The condolences that were muttered seemed to continue to float outside of his ears leaving his heart empty.

The pain that they were feeling was indescribable. It was excruciating like it was killing them while they were alive. The agony of living with the information that they have obtained felt like he was constantly dying every minute.

It felt like death.

1,440 Minutes

They were twins.

They were supposed to be his first child.

They were supposed to be Leo's younger siblings.

Tears after tears rolled down her cheeks as she laid motionless on her bed, lights turned off.

Spencer, Hanna, Emily, and Aria were all looking at her from the door with broken hearts as they asked themselves why would such a thing happen to someone so sweet as Lianna. No matter how much they wanted to comfort her and cheer her up, they all knew that no one could heal a mother's broken and mourning heart.

"I just can't imagine how painful this is for her." Emily muttered, eyes falling to the floor as she turned around. Her back resting on the cold wall, her stomach turning, she couldn't just stand and watch her best friend falling apart.

"Losing your parents hurts but I don't know how that would feel when you find out that lost your babies as well." Aria sighed, wiping her cheeks. The girl's chest also felt heavy. They were all too excited for her baby number 2.

"This is so depressing." Hanna sniffed, burying her head in the crook of Spencer's shoulder who softly caressed her back.

In the busy cafeteria, Caleb slowly walked towards Jason who had his head in his hands before handing the man a warm cup of coffee. From his seat, he could feel the brokenness radiating from the man who took the coffee from his hands.

He looked as worse as his sister. His eyes were red and puffy from crying since they got the news. "Thanks." He mumbled. His voice was raw as his fingers wrapped themselves around the warm cup.

"We're here for you, man," Caleb muttered, clearing his throat awkwardly before tapping his shoulder. "I'm just going to check up on Lianna real quick. You'll be alright here? You want me to send Spencer?"

"No, thanks, Caleb." Jason sniffled, nodding at him before his eyes dropped to the coffee that he was holding as Caleb walked away

4,200 Minutes

"Hey," Caleb greeted, sliding the door behind him as he entered the hospital room that Lianna was currently in. He carefully placed the bag that held her clothes on the couch in front of her bed.

She was curled in a fetal position making Caleb's heart break. "Hey, you." He whispered softly once he crouched near Lianna.

"How you doin'?" He asked, even if he knew that she wouldn't respond. A small sigh fell from his lips before moving the strand of hair that was covering her face.

This was the worst state Caleb has seen Lianna. Her lips were pale and cracked. Her eyes were puffy and red from all the crying she has been doing. He felt his heart break as Lianna just stared at the wall ahead of her, no tears left to cry.

"Your parent's autopsy came back just today." Caleb said slowly, unsure if her sister could take such information but he knew that he must tell her.

He flinched when Lianna's lifeless gaze turned to him but didn't say a word, "They found Carbon Monoxide in their system."

"Wha—" Lianna squeaked, her voice hoarse and scratchy because of not speaking for days. "Ca—carbon monoxide?"

"Yes," Caleb sighed, his hands moving to hold his sister's hand as he delivered the news.

"Logan asked me if someone was harassing you," Caleb said lowly, "Because he thinks that's what caused your parent's death."

"It's A," Lianna whispered, quickly sitting up as her hands balled in anger. Caleb watched as she turned to him with tears in her eyes, "A killed my parents."