1. Back to The Burrow

Once their feet hit the floor they expected their heads to stop spinning.

Instead, it felt as though now they weren't physically moving, they were only spinning faster. It carried on with a vengeance, squeezing their lungs tighter and crushing their chests harder; not even the fresh breeze or the afternoon sun's warmth could bring them back into the real world. Hand in hand and grasping onto each other tightly, Harry and Jess breathed deep as they tried to adjust to their new reality - a reality that they had never known.

Albus Dumbledore was speaking carefully to Mrs Weasley. She was absentmindedly waving people indoors, listening to him intently. The Burrow stood proudly in the distance, a beacon of comfort waiting to welcome them home.

Neither Jess nor Harry could understand what Dumbledore was saying, but they knew it was about them from the sideways glances that Mrs Weasley was giving them. Behind her, Sirius was stood drinking in Dumbledore's every word. He kept shooting quick looks at them both as if he wanted to say something, but then thought the better of it.

"...it is time for them to rest, Molly" said Dumbledore solemnly. "The time for explanation can wait until later"

Mrs Weasley nodded. She turned and smiled at Harry and Jess weakly.

"We'll be in the house when you're ready dears," she said.

She turned to follow her family into The Burrow. Sirius lingered for a second longer, but then turned to follow her too. The Potters didn't want him to walk away, but at the same time, they had no idea what to say to him. Their minds were numb. Dumbledore watched them leave before facing Harry and Jess. Only at this moment did they realise that they were still holding onto each other.

"I know that you will have many questions", he said calmly. "But, I do insist that you try to get some much deserved rest. I dare say you've earned it."

Harry and Jess looked at each other quickly. Their brains were foggy and their exhaustion was beginning to creep in. As each second passed, reality was hitting them harder and harder. As much as they'd missed Dumbledore, they craved peace and quiet to help with the screaming confusion in their heads.

"I've asked..." he continued, "that they give you the time and space that you both need. They must give you time to mend, to rest, and more importantly than that..." He peered over his glasses, "time to grieve."

Jess loosened her grip on Harry's hand. They were clammy from the sweat of holding on so tight, or perhaps it was the hot sweats that were starting to crawl over her skin.

"Professor, I don't underst..." she started.

"My dear girl," Dumbledore held up his hand. "Forgive me, but I would consider myself very concerned if you did understand. What has happened these past 24 hours, these past three years, it is something only myths could predict. Yes, it is a travesty avoided in the end – but then it is also a travesty that should have never been in the question to begin with."

Dumbledore gave them a soft, sad smile. His eyes seemed older than ever, but it could have the last shadows of death etched into his wrinkled face creating this illusion. He certainly seemed fit – healthy even for a man of his age, especially for a man of his age who hadn't took a breath in nearly a year.

"When will we see you again Professor?" Asked Harry quietly.

"Very soon, I promise you. As you can imagine, I have a few affairs to put in order, starting with a visit to Remus and Nymphadora. I told them that I would see them after ensuring your safe and well transitioned return to The Burrow."

They glanced to look at The Burrow momentarily. Sirius was watching through the kitchen window, but the Weasleys and Hermione were hidden away, giving them the space that Dumbledore had requested.