7. Morning

The morning sun peaked through the crack in the curtain and cast a warm glow over Jess's face. It lit the other side of her eyelids, causing her to stir awake. She was too comfortable to move, quite happy to lie there and relax. For the first time in months, she finally felt well rested even despite her nightmare.

Keeping her eyes closed, she lay there basking in happiness and comfort. She could feel Fred next to her, his chest was rising up and down with his deep sleeping breaths. His arm was still wrapped around her shoulders, and his other hand was holding hers on his stomach.

She was still lying on him, her face was against his t-shirt taking in his warm scent. She inhaled; he smelt faintly like bonfire toffee and cinnamon - sweet, spicy and welcoming. It was a smell she'd grown familiar with over the years, but it still had the same effect on her as it always had done.

Jess opened her eyes, and squinted against the light. She peered up at Fred. He was lying so peacefully, his hair was ruffled and there wasn't a line of worry on his face. Jess realised that George had been lying after all - Fred didn't snore. Although she also realised he hadn't been lying when he said she'd find out one day. She just didn't think that day would be so soon.

Jess had never seen Fred asleep properly. She'd never woken up with him next to her. She had stayed in the same house as him many times during her visits to The Burrow and at Grimmauld Place, but never in the same room. It was different, and she loved it. It felt like it was another step to be closer together. It made her heart feel full.

A banging from someone walking past the door to their room snapped Jess out of her daze. A quick flurry of panic fell over her as she realised that Fred was only supposed to have stayed until she fell asleep. If anyone found out, she dreaded what the reaction would be.

Mrs Weasley would surely have a fit, although she would likely blame Fred rather than her, Jess didn't want that. Mr Weasley - well he would do what Mrs Weasley told him to, living up to the infamous saying: "a happy wife is a happy life".

Sirius, as laid back as he came across, was very protective of Jess and she imagined he'd probably put himself back in Azkaban if the wrong boy made a pass at her. She remembered him being most displeased when he found out she'd been on a date in fifth year claiming "I knew his dad at school, he was a pillock".

Away from the adults though, their friends would be an absolute nightmare. She could imagine Hermione; "Oh Jess you didn't did you? Mrs Weasley will be so mad if she finds out".

Harry would probably give her the "I told you so" speech. Ron would be okay, but only because it wasn't as bad as Harry with Ginny.

As for George - well, he'd probably do everything in his power to wind them both up with it, dropping the least subtle hints possible until his mother eventually picked up on it.

It wasn't like Fred and her had done anything, unless you count hugging each other and sleeping. They'd not even kissed. She doubted that anyone else would believe that though.

Jess felt a prang in her chest. She wished she'd taken the time on their own to finally confess at least some of her feelings, but once again she let her nerves get the better of her. It made her angry that after even following Fred's near-miss, she still couldn't find the courage. Although saying that, she wasn't entirely sure that he'd have found her overly attractive after the display in the bathroom. It was mortifying.

Jess let go of Fred's hand and leant across him to pick up his wand off the bedside table - hers was too far to reach. 'Please work for me', she pleaded silently, envisaging the door blowing off its hinges or something igniting.