16. Lighter

"Since when do you lock the door? Mate, let me in!"

George's voice yelled through the door. Jess woke with a startle and nudged Fred who was still wrapped around her in the same position from the night before.

The door banged again, and Fred groaned sleepily.

"Can I hex him?" He muttered.

"I'm going to say no," she giggled.

He groaned again and shouted towards the door, "go away George."

"Just because your girlfriend didn't tuck you in last night doesn't give you a reason to be grouchy with me. Let. Me. In."

Fred sighed. "Right , if that's the way he wants to play it."

He let go of Jess and reached behind him to get his wand. He flicked it lazily towards the door and whispered in Jess's ear, "this should be good."

No sooner had the door clicked to unlock did it burst open and Fred's twin brother come bounding in.

"Guess wha- oh..." George stopped abruptly.

Jess waved at him.

"Morning Jess."

"Morning George."

"I didn't expect to see you in here."

"I came to tuck him in, but fell asleep half way through his bedtime story," she said.

He grinned at her. Fred coughed to remind them both of his presence.

"Is there a good reason why you've woken me up before seven?"

"Yes!" George remembered suddenly, perching at the bottom of the bed. "We're having a party!"

"Come again?" Fred asked.

"This afternoon! Well tonight. I just went downstairs to get a drink and found mum preparing loads of food and making lists. I asked her and she said that a load of families are having celebrations this weekend with it being the first one after the war!"

"Wicked!" Fred grinned back. "You know what this means?"

"Drinking and eating!" George fist pumped the air.

"I was thinking fireworks I'll be honest mate."

"Also a brilliant idea. How about we slip some 'special treats' onto the table too." George raised an eyebrow.

"Are we talking a couple of canary creams, or?" Fred smirked mischievously.

"How about hiccup juice?"

Fred raised his hand and George high-fived him.

"Remind me to not drink a single thing you guys offer me," Jess muttered.

"Don't worry, we won't prank you," said Fred reassuringly.

"Won't we?" George asked, surprised.

"Nope. She's our newest brainstormer," he said proudly. Seeing George's confused look, he explained, "we were talking the other day and she admitted that she would never be able say no to me and you..."

"Aww cute," George winked at her.

"But, she said she only wouldn't be able to say no in case we took offence and turned her into a shrub."

George barked a laugh, "that's not actually an awful idea."

"Thanks," she said sarcastically.

"And what did you call this idea?" George asked, with the air of a businessman conducting an interview.