4. Healing

"To what do I owe this pleasure?"

Mrs Weasley's voice drifted across the kitchen as Jess and George were buttering slices of bread for the breakfast sandwiches. They were singing loudly and dancing stupidly to the radio, especially George who decided that head banging to the Weird Sisters was both the best and only way to dance.

George spun to face his mum and turned down the volume dial on the wireless. He was panting slightly; Jess was trying to stop her laughter.

"Morning Mum!"

"Hi Mrs Weasley."

"Morning early birds. What're you doing up so early – and cooking for that?"

George spoke before Jess had time to come up with excuses.

"Couldn't sleep and wanted snacks. When I came down, Jess was grabbing a glass of water and said that if I was hungry I should just have breakfast. So, that's what I'm doing."

Jess nodded and looked at George, giving him a grateful smile.

"What do you mean 'owe this pleasure' anyway?" asked George. "This is all for me."

"Like hell it is." Fred walked into the room and leant against the wall. He was still in his tartan pyjama bottoms and his t-shirt that was just a slight too tight around his muscular arms. His hair was stuck up in all directions, but despite this, he looked unthinkably attractive. Jess turned back to the bread buttering to distract herself.

"BOTH of you up early?" Mrs Weasley said suspiciously. "I either must be dreaming, or you're up to something, and if it's the latter, I really don't want to know."

"Mum, we have the shop remember?" said Fred. "We're always up at the crack of dawn."

"Yeah, we're proper adults now." George nodded confidently.

Jess scoffed to herself, a little too loudly for anyone in the room to ignore.

"What's that Potter?" asked George. "I didn't quite hear you."

"Oh, nothing." Jess said casually.

Mrs Weasley excused herself to go and change, asking Fred to make her a coffee whilst she was gone. Fred filled the kettle back up and placed it onto the hob.

"No, no, go on," George pushed. Jess stole a quick glance. He was sat on the counter next to her, mouth cocked to one side slightly, his eyebrows disappearing into his fringe. "You obviously have something to say about our adult status."

"All I'm saying... is that age is just a number." said Jess.

"How rude. It must be because of you Fred."

"Me? What did I do?"

"You obviously bring the maturity level down," Jess piped up.

Fred shrugged. "Who wants to be mature? Sounds boring."

George nodded with a grimace. "Yeah, being grown up isn't all it's cracked up to be. We're not all fresh out of Hogwarts you know."

Jess finished buttering the last slice.

"Technically, I'm not fresh out of Hogwarts."

"Age wise you are," said George.

"Hmm. I guess somebody should've probably let Voldemort know we hadn't finished our NEWTs yet."

"Bit inconsiderate of him really," George replied.

"Definitely. Although I did get a nice long nap out of it, even if I did miss the good bit." Fred grinned.