Evening with the Weasleys

"Considering it's technically summer, today isn't very warm," Harry grumbled, pulling his cloak around him.

The two of them were walking down the heavy cobbled streets of Diagon Alley, and although it was busy from last minute shoppers, it didn't stop a cold end-of-august wind from creeping down the back of their necks.

"It is really cold, but you didn't have to eat the ice cream, you know," Jess suggested.

He looked at her with absolute disbelief, "of course, I did. Who turns down free ice cream?"

Jess laughed and gave her brother a gentle push.

"Is there anything else you actually need? Or shall we just head back?"

He glanced around thoughtfully. They'd been in every shop in Diagon Alley at least twice since their arrival.

"I don't think so, but..."

"But?"

"I'd quite like to have another look at the Firebolt again," he tested. "Even if we can't buy it, it would be nice to have one last look."

Jess grinned from ear to ear, "absolutely!"

Oh little do you guys know! Fred rarely envied anything about the Potters, but their Firebolts were on the list. He could probably afford one now the shop was up and running, but he had no time or place to actually use it. He was lucky in that Jess had always willingly let him have a go on hers, and second only to kissing her, the Firebolt was the most exhilarating experience he'd ever had.

The twins weaved their way up the cobbles towards Quality Quidditch Supplies, where they ogled over the Firebolt for the umpteenth time that summer.

"That is a ridiculous speed," Harry groaned longingly, pressing his nose against the window.

"I'd actually move faster than the quaffle," Jess giggled at him.

"Malfoy wouldn't be so smug if we had one of them," he said, turning away from the glass.

"The 2001's are no match for the Firebolt that's for sure," she followed him away from the shop and nodded in agreement. "We'd make him look stupid."

"You say that, but I bet his father has already bought him one."

"Wouldn't surprise me," Jess agreed, bitterly. "Slimy gi-"

"HARRY! JESS!"

The Potters, who were not used to being addressed by anyone recently, swung around in record time to see Ron and Hermione waving at them frantically from outside Madam Malkin's. Harry and Jess grinned at each other and ran over to them excitedly.

Jess and Hermione jumped into a hug; Ron beamed at them both and patted Jess's arm awkwardly.

"About time," Ron chirped, cheerfully. "We've looked everywhere for you! The landlord bloke at The Leaky Cauldron said you'd left a while ago, we didn't see you at Flourish and Blots either..."

"Oh, it's so good to see you," Hermione said giddily, this time throwing her arms around Harry. She bobbed up and down excitedly, her frizzy her shaking as she did so.

"We got all our school stuff last week," Jess explained.

"Yeah, we've just been wandering around for a few weeks trying not to spend all our money," Harry smirked.

Ron laughed, but Hermione's smile slipped from her face.

"We heard what happened. Did you really blow up your aunt?" she asked in serious hushed tones.