15. Seeing me

The silence was so loud. Fred didn't move at all; he didn't turn, or speak, or even acknowledge that she'd spoken. Jess stood at the entry to the door looking at his back wondering whether she should speak again or just walk further into the room.

After what felt like an age, she shook herself out of her fears and spoke again.

"Fred? Please talk to me." She whispered, loud enough for him to hear, but quiet enough for it to be soothing.

"I... I need to be on my own for a bit," his voice croaked. Her heart shattered. It was a rare occurrence for Fred to be genuinely hurt or upset. But, she knew she could handle him in whatever mood he was in, so this didn't deter her from wanting to help him.

Deciding she knew what was better for him than he did, Jess ignored his wishes. She closed the door and walked slowly around to the other side of the bed where he was still lying facing the picture. As she got to him, she saw his eyes flutter shut as if he couldn't stand to look at her.

"Jess..." he whispered, "I'm okay, you can go."

"You know, I've known you a long time." Jess repeated his words that he'd said to her in the bathroom two nights ago. "Which means I know when you're lying."

Fred's eyes opened again and looked up at her. She could see why he'd wanted her away from him, or why he didn't want her in the room. His eyes were red and a little swollen. He'd obviously had a few tears, even though his face was now dry.

"Fred..." she sighed sadly, moving closer to him.

He sat up and bent his knees, giving her space to sit on the end of the bed. But still, he didn't look at her. Instead he kept his head turned peering at their photograph.

"I didn't even know that picture existed," she mumbled.

Fred nodded slowly. "I've had it since the day after the ball. It's always been next to my bed."

"Always..." she repeated, softly.

Fred looked at her quickly then looked down. "Yeah. It probably sounds ridiculous, but it makes me feel close to you when you're away."

"It doesn't sound ridiculous. I have a muggle picture of us in my mum's locket."

This time Fred glanced at her properly, his face was expressionless but his eyes were wide. "You do?"

She lifted the chain over her head and handed it to him. He clicked it open and in there were two still photographs. One was of her with Harry, Ron and Hermione before the third Tri-wizard task, the other was another Yule Ball picture of her and him. They were in the middle of dancing together, but they had turned and smiled for whoever took the photograph. It wasn't moving, so it didn't have the life in it the way that Fred's did, but it was still beautiful.

"Colin Creevey took them on his muggle camera if you remember. He snuck into the hall that night and took a load of photos," she chuckled. "I'd forgotten about it until the following year. He gave me the pictures after you left Hogwarts. I asked if he could get me another copy, so I could shrink one for my locket."

"I remember." Fred handed the locket back to her.

"That's my way of keeping you close," she said. He smiled at her, but it wasn't a Fred Weasley smile. It was forced.

She crossed her legs and sat practically on his feet facing him. She kept her eyes on him so that he had no choice but to either look at her or look down at his knees.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked carefully.

Fred shrugged his shoulders and sighed, "I know I'm being pathetic," he said. "But, I can't help feeling absolutely gutted."