29. The bad and the bludger

"Next time you invite us all to a death day party, remind me to kill you," Ron grumbled.

He, Harry, Jess and Hermione were walking hurriedly down a passageway.

"He got us out of trouble," Harry hissed, looking over his shoulder nervously to make sure no ghosts were following them. "How was I supposed to know it would be that bad?"

"Hell-ooo! It's a party to celebrate being dead," Ron exclaimed. "Hardly going to be all singing, all dancing was it."

"I must admit, it was awfully depressing," said Hermione.

"Don't you start, Miss 'oh it will be so fascinating though'."

Hermione blushed and the Potters sniggered.

"Something's telling me that Ron wasn't best impressed with old Nick's party," Jess teased.

"What gave that away?" he snapped.

"You're so touchy when you're hungry," Harry grinned.

"Too right. Pudding might not be finished though..." said Ron hopefully.

Before anyone else could say another word, a deathly voice entered the memory, causing Harry and Jess to stop dead in their tracks.

"Rip... tear... kill."

Fred jumped, a cold shiver trickling down his spine. Jess had told him during this time period that she and Harry were hearing a voice - in fact he anticipated her to include the memory. He'd obviously believed her, but never understood what it must've sounded like to hear it. He wondered for a second how on earth he could hear the voice at all, then he realised that it was because he was seeing Jess's version of events and she could remember it.

"Harry... Jess?"

"It's that voice again," Jess whispered. She sounded half possessed, her eyes wide and curious.

"What d'you..." Ron started, but Harry shushed him.

"Shut up a minute, we need to hear..."

"So hungry... for so long."

"Listen!" Jess pleaded. Ron and Hermione glanced at each other.

"Kill...time to kill..."

Fear never bothered Fred. If he was scared of something it was usually because he was scared of other people suffering, in particular George and Jess. But, this made him feel scared. He knew the outcome and he knew the reasoning, but it didn't stop the haunting feeling that swirled in his stomach. He wanted to protect Jess and Harry, tell them it was dangerous.

They were twelve years old. How can you deal with this shit when you're twelve years old?

The voice was moving now, away from where they were stood. Jess started moving after it with Harry following closely.

"This way," Jess called over her shoulder.

Harry and Jess sprinted in front with Ron and Hermione chasing behind. They headed towards the entrance hall. The noise of students behind the door to the Great Hall drowned out whatever voice they were hearing, and they slowed their pursuit.

"Guys, what're we -" Ron panted.

"Shh!" Jess held her hand up to stop him. The deep breathing from the four of them broke the silence. Harry and Jess were looking desperately in all directions straining to hear the voice again. Then distantly, from the floor above, it came again.

"I smell blood... I SMELL BLOOD."

The hairs on Fred's neck stood up on end. His body visibly recoiled.