12. Reunited

On his way to the bathroom, Fred went down an extra floor to Ginny's room. Holding his clothes awkwardly in his hands, he knocked on the door and waited to see if anyone was actually in there.

"Are you looking for me or your sister?" Hermione's voice came from behind him.

He turned around, "er- you actually."

"Thought you might be somehow," she said brightly, opening the door to the room. She walked inside and signalled him to follow her. "I take it this is about George and his memories?"

"Well, I know George came to you for help on how to extract them. So, I hoped that maybe you'd know how to... well, you know - do whatever you do with them."

Hermione nodded. "Well I've never done it myself, but Harry and Jess have done a lot of work with memories. I've read about it though of course. I think it's fascinating to be able to go back to old memories and see them as if it's happening there and then."

"Wait, is that what they do?"

"That's how Jess and Harry described it. Apparently when you enter a memory it's like an outer body experience. You're watching the event take place as if you're there in real time."

"That sounds crazy," Fred muttered.

Hermione agreed, "I'm sort of jealous that they've done it so many times."

"And, what do you use to see the memories?"

"Jess told you didn't she? She wrote it on a note - you use a pensieve."

Fred blanched, "you know about Jess's memories?"

Hermione smiled at him, "yeah. I was there when she extracted them."

He hesitated for a moment, "do you know why she's given them to me, or what's in them?" He swallowed hard remembering George's words about him passing them on if anything were to happen to Jess. "I know it was meant as a - goodbye. But, is it not something she could have put in a letter?"

"No," said Hermione. "She couldn't. I don't know exactly what she's going to show you, but I know it's not something that writing would cover."

"I'm curious, but confused." He admitted, dropping onto Ginny's bed. "And, honestly, a little scared."

"Why confused?"

"What possible memory could she show me that would give me closure? If these are memories are of me, which I imagine they are, surely I was present for most of it."

"Some of them are of you, yes."

"Some?"

Hermione sat on her bed, "you'll just have to see what she wanted to show you. I only know bits because she made a list the night before we went to Hogwarts."

Fred felt his eyes sting suddenly. "That recent? Why did she feel the need to make them then?"

"She knew something was coming... and obviously she was right." Hermione paused at Fred's blank expression, "has George not told you what happened at the battle?"

"No." He could hear his voice cracking slightly. He had no idea why this conversation was putting him on edge so much. He'd only been gone a matter of hours that night and yet it felt like so much of life had continued around him.

"That would probably explain why he wanted help with his memories too," she said quietly. Then she looked up at him. "Fred, it's okay you know?"

Fred nodded. He wasn't crying, but his eyes were glassy and his chest felt tight. "Don't tell George or Jess that I'm getting upset about this please."