Part 23

Kai's POV

I swirled the soggy cereal around in the bowl after eating only a few bites, I didn't have an appetite here. It didn't help that Nate's presence hovering over me made me feel observed and uneasy. He was most likely waiting for me to finish eating but I wish he'd just ask his questions already. After a few more moments of awkward silence and me making a paste of my food he must have picked up that I wasn't hungry and decided to carry on.

"I want to discuss your presence around Mia before I ask any questions. I'd like to completely disconnect her from any reminders of her past temporarily. This means that you won't be going near her until she shifts.." I choked on my saliva and began coughing. I stared intently into the bowl. His words caught me very off guard, Mia shifting hadn't crossed my mind yet. Her becoming an actual person?? My first thoughts were just getting her away from the pack and to somewhere safe.

I regained control as quickly as I could after glancing into the suspicious eyes of Nate. I felt dumb for letting my emotions show so plainly, I couldn't give away my packs secrets. It was up to me right now to protect them. The story that only Alpha knew about Mia was believable enough and would keep my pack safe.

"When.. when do you think she'll shift?" No use trying to recover with a story of lies. I was hoping if I could carry on the conversation he'll allow my slip up to slide and as a plus, I could get an update on how Mia is doing. The Blood Moon pack will be good for Mia, they seem to genuinely want to help her.

I glanced up at Nate again when he didn't immediately continue talking. I was nervous to see his eyes were analyzing me and I knew he was processing information. He didn't seem satisfied with my response after my reaction and looked hesitant to answer my question.

"She's making swift progress already. When we gain her trust, we can convince her that it's safe to shift and no one will hurt her. However, I can't put a time to when that will be. It's all up to Mia and her recovery." I nodded my head and felt happy at the thought of seeing Mia smiling again, enjoying her life and feeling safe. It was hard to push out the thoughts of how many punishments she'd get, but I knew it was different here. She was always so happy and positive when we were younger. She had a fire that should never have died. I hope they can reignite her flame and help her become someone she should have been since the beginning.

"I heard from Kayden what you and Jackson spoke about already, how you want to do this for your pack. I understand your loyalty to the Half Moon Pack, but you need to tell me if you know anything more about Mia's situation. If there was anyone else involved with your old Alpha to contribute in how Mia was treated, or if you know something that can help us in any way" Nate spoke with seriousness but I picked up no aggression. I couldn't trust him with my packs secrets. If I got my pack killed I would never forgive myself. I could save them on my own.

I just shook my head and returned his gaze hoping to come off strong and believable. "What I have told you is the truth Nate, the events that happened with Mia were isolated from the pack. Our Alpha has never been perfect but this was a surprise to us all."

His eyes blazed into my head, he knew I was hiding more then I've been saying. This pack wasn't dumb, even I know Mia's condition and life wouldn't truly be successfully hidden all these years. Our story about Mia had a lot of flaws and a lot could go wrong, but how else are we suppose to protect ourselves. I wish my pack never fell into such cruel ways, we deserve the punishments that Mia experienced, but how can I be the one to put my pack through that.

"I don't believe you Kai. You can't grow healthy trees in infected soil. If your old alpha Rick wasn't the only one hurting Mia, then this might happen again and the cycle won't stop. I've helped many packs who have been involved with abuse, I can help your pack too, that's a promise. But you need to tell me the truth."