Part 27

Kayden's POV

I've been trying to fall asleep for the past couple hours but all I can think about is Mia. I want to be by her side, in her presence while I hold her in my arms. She's completely occupied my mind since I found her. Mia has made so much progress in the last few days and I couldn't be more proud of her. She's beginning to open up more and hopefully she'll realize that we're nothing like the Half Moon Pack.

I couldn't help but growl at the mere thought of that pack and what they did to her. I don't trust them at all. The more time that goes by, the less I believe their story. I've always found it suspicious, but now I'm finding it impossible. How can not a single wolf have known? Even I could smell the blood coming from that disgusting basement.

I turn in the bed stuck with my loud thoughts while wanting to tear the whole pack to shreds. I have to calm down and think about this later or I'll be exhausted all day. I glance over to check the time and see that it's already 3 in the morning. I decide that it wouldn't hurt to check in on Mia and make sure she's doing ok.

Getting out of bed, I made my way to our room. I quietly open the door hoping not to wake her up and I peek in. Mia is curled up in a ball, settled in the centre of the bed. I smile already knowing she's going to be a bed hog. She's perfect though.

My eyes can't leave her. She always looks so calm when she sleeps, never any trace of fear. Her chest rising and falling in a peaceful rhythm. A sigh escapes my mouth, knowing I won't be able to leave her now that I'm here. I choose to enter the room, softly closing the door behind me. I take another glance at Mia to ensure I haven't woken her. Although I'm assuming she's probably exhausted from last nights run.

I slid down the door and rest my head against it looking up at the ceiling. Being in the same room as her is helping me already. Just her presence is quieting my restless mind, and I can finally feel the fatigue setting in. I seem to always get so paranoid that she's not safe when I'm not around her.

I debate heading back to the guest room, but I'm more comfortable here in her presence and on the floor, then if I were in a bed in the other room. I shake my head and plan to take just a small nap. I can leave before she wakes up. I close my heavy eyes feeling content.

~

I'm woken up by a loud yelp. My heart begins racing and I'm on my feet in an instant. My blurred eyes try to focus on the bed realizing it came from my mate and I prepare to defend her from any danger. I focus on Mia and realize there's nothing around her. Confusion sets in for a moment before she lets out a whine and I understand she's having another nightmare.

I walk towards her shaking body and my heart breaks hearing her whines and seeing the pain she's going through. I still wasn't sure what would help her in this moment and I felt lost. I knew I would startle her more if I tried to wake her up, but what else could I do? I can't just stand here and watch.

I approached her and attempted brushing my hand over her fur but it only made her flinch unconsciously and whimper out. "Mia" I try to speak to her, hoping to wake her up but she wasn't responding to my call. It hurt me to see her like this. All I wanted was to stop her pain. I rubbed circles on her check and it calmed her slightly but she was still clearly in her nightmare. I braced for her reaction, deciding to softly shake her body tell she woke.

Mia jolted awake and I felt short lived relief before it was suffocated from the wave of fear that came from her. She frantically looked around and jumped off the bed crashing to the floor. I rush to her side but cringed at her hard flinch. Fixing my mistake of moving to quickly, I slowed my movements.

"Mia, love, it's ok. It was a nightmare, you're safe now. I'm here" I inched towards her when I saw the realization of her surroundings reflect in her eyes. She still looks terrified but she made no attempt to move away from me as I approach cautiously. Mia was shaking violently, staring intensely at my hands. It broke my heart every time she thought I would dare hit her. "It's ok Mia. I'm not going to hurt you ever, I promise."