-☆𝗕𝗲𝗴𝗶𝗻𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗢𝗳 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗚𝗮𝘆 𝗗𝗶𝘀𝗮𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿☆-

★·.·´¯'·.·★ . ★·.·´¯'·.·★

To be fit for Byakuya's Walmart, he required each employee to understand and be able to work in each department and job available in the store. Thus why Kokichi had been helping train and work alongside Shuichi in different positions with different tasks. It seemed they had been working harder than ever before. And before Shuichi realized it, he had been here for a solid three months.

"We should definitely celebrate!" Kaito exclaimed during break. He, along with Shuichi, Kokichi, Rantaro and Kaede were eating lunch in the break room. "After all," he continued. "Saihara has been here with us a lot longer than his predecessors."

Kokichi glared at Kaito. "I've been here for three months too.." he grumbled. Kokichi had only started a week before Shuichi did. After all, they were the replacements of a Mr. Hinata and Komaeda who apparently are working in Costco now, but that's another story.

Kaito only frowned at Kokichi. "Well don't cause so much trouble and people will want to do things for you."

But before Kokichi and Kaito could do their usual bickering, Shuichi quickly stepped in and changed the subject.

"Really it's fine. I appreciate the thought– I really do, but there's no need to do anything special for me.." he awkwardly insisted, lightly scratching his cheek. "But you should definitely do something for Oma-kun if you guys want to," Shuichi added in. But Kaito only dismissed Shuichi's objection of having no celebration for himself.

So they all settled, without much of Shuichi's input, that everyone would get together Saturday night and go downtown for dinner and hanging out. There were some of their co-workers that denies having fun like Maki or Ryoma; or ones that couldn't make it like Gonta(who worked in the Garden Center) and Kirumi who liked their jobs enough they didn't mind working weekends. Byakuya refused to give everyone Saturday off, so it wasnt like they could all escape the wrath of working his sophisticated Walmart.

"Saihara said he's running a bit late because his uncle's car isn't working right," he sighed. Kaito was sitting at a large table while he scrolled through the messages on his phone. They were all at a restaurant known for its Japanese BBQ. In order of seating left to right, it was Korekiyo, then Rantaro, then Kaede. Then on the other side was Maki (who was dragged along by Kaito– literally) then Kaito. Kaito saved a spot for Shuichi right next to him of course.

Kaito glanced up at Rantaro who was sitting beside him. "Do you think Saihara liked the idea?" Kaito asked. "Now that I think about it, he didn't talk much when we were discussing meeting up.."

Rantaro smiled. "Well... you seemed so excited, I don't think you really gave him a chance to talk," he lightly chuckled. Kaito looked surprised.

"Huh. Do you think so–"

Though he caught sight of Shuichi: the guest of honor. When the detective trainee saw how many people showed up, he actually felt a little embarrassed.

"H-hey–" he waved a bit. Though his heart sank. He saw everyone accept Kokichi there. Was he upset that everyone else did this for Shuichi and not the both of him? No, Shuichi didn't think Kokichi honestly cared that much, and brought up not having a celebration for himself only to cause drama.

"He... he didn't come.." Shuichi tried his best to hide his disappointment as he sat down with everyone else. He sat right beside Kaito who immediately threw an arm over his shoulder and welcomed him happily. Even Maki, who Shuichi didn't notice because she was sitting at the very end by the wall to Kaito's left, muttered a greeting.

But just as Shuichi was about to order a drink, he felt the seat sink down a bit beside him. Looking up from the menu, Shuichi's eyes widened slightly with relieved surprise when he saw Kokichi.

Shuichi immediately turned pink. You see, he never had seen Kokichi outside work before. Therefore he never had seen him in normal clothes and not a walmart uniform. Kokichi was wearing ripped black jeans, a cropped checkered hoodie with little pins attached that had clown faces or said DICE, black and white converse. His nails were painted purple and he was tapping the table impatiently. With his hair pulled back in a ponytail, you could see his face much easier.

Then Kokichi noticed Shuichi's staring and shot him a bright smile.

"What's wrong? Did Saihara-chan think I wasn't gonna come?"

★·.·´¯'·.·★ . ★·.·´¯'·.·★