Chapter Twenty Four

~ THE FINAL CHAPTER ~

Harry was on the infirmary bed, with Sirius beside him. He glanced over at the Weasleys, having an intense discussion with Fleur as she dabbed some ointment onto Bill's wounds.

He closed his eyes, inhaling sharply. Dumbledore. He was dead. It was a stark reminder of the fact that Dumbledore was human. He was human, and he made mistakes – And last year had been a mistake.

No one else was dead. Only Dumbledore. He ran the words through his head, but he didn't believe them. He was certain that there was more bad news.

There was bad news, of course. Fear that Snape would expose all of the Order's secrets to Voldemort. It also meant that they couldn't return to Grimmauld Place. He didn't want to think about that – He could barely stay here.

"Where were you, Harry?" Sirius asked softly, holding his trembling hand. He couldn't say, could he? Dumbledore had asked him not to. But he was dead. And Harry had to find the horcruxes.

"R-Retrieving a horcrux," He said, staring fixedly at the bed beside him. Draco was smiling weakly at Nott and Parkinson. She was crying, wiping her eyes as Nott stroked her back.

"Of course," He muttered, frowning at him. "A teenager is a perfect candidate for the task. You could've died, and I don't –

"I would've been in danger here as well, Sirius."

"No," He said, slightly shaking his head. "I would've kept you safe. It wouldn't matter if it cost me my life – You would've been safe."

"You can't risk your life to save mine." He said, and his voice cracked. He had lost so much. He couldn't lose Sirius. His father. And he glanced at Lupin, nibbling on a chocolate as he cradled Lily in his arms. His fathers.

"I would." He muttered. "I'm reminded of James, when I look at you. But you have her in you as well, Harry – Your mother. You're the best of them both. And there is nothing I wouldn't do for you."

"Lupin wouldn't want that." Harry said, after a quiet moment. "Lily wouldn't want to lose her father, and I can't even bear the thought of losing you."

"Sap," Sirius chuckled, ruffling his messy hair streaked with dirt. "In Azkaban, you were the only thing that kept me sane."

"Sap," Harry repeated, with a weak laugh. His eyes widened, as he saw a glint on Sirius' finger. His godfather smirked, brushing his fingers over the ring on his finger. "You're – You – Ohmygod!"

"We're engaged, yes." He said, suppressing his growing smile. Harry stared fixedly at the beautiful ring on his finger. One good news, amidst this chaos. "We won't get married until all of this is over."

"Well, at least there is hope," Harry said, carding his fingers through his hair. "And it'll end. Only, we have to hunt down the horcruxes and then Voldemort will be vulnerable."

"I'm not going to let you track down those horcruxes, love." Sirius said, his eyes dark with concern.

He didn't want to worry Sirius, but he had to devise a plan to hunt them down, and destroy them. And he couldn't involve him or Remus in this.

"You mean the world to me, Harry." He said, and that cracked his heart open. "I can't lose you. I won't."

"You and me both, Black." A familiar voice said, and his lips curved into a smile. The blond strode towards the bed, and beside Harry. He placed a soft kiss on his blond hair. Dirty Blond, he noted.

"I assume you'll be with us to restrain him from putting his life in danger?"

"I'm in," Draco said softly, brushing the jet-black locks and drew him close, staring into his eyes with an intensity. "I can't lose you, Harry."