Nightmares

"Sam! What movie do you wanna watch tonight?" Rose called from the couch.

"Hmm.. well it's Friday. What are we feeling tonight? You can pick this week." Sam replied. He was in the kitchen, looking for snacks.

"Hmm.. are you sure about that?" Rose laughed.

"Yes babe.." Sam replied with a hint of sarcasm.

"Don't be smart! Shawshank or American Hustle?"

"Hmm.. Hustle!"

"Yes.. good choice!" Rose laughed. Sam walked over to join his love on the couch. Before he sat down, he wrapped her in his arms and kissed her belly, causing Rose to blush.
——————————————————————-
Rose woke up against her lover's shoulder, and looked at the tv. The movie was nearly over, so she switched it off and left the tv on the late night news, as she carefully got up and headed for the bathroom.

She flipped the light on and nearly gave herself a heart attack when she looked in the mirror. "Shit!" She blinked away the image of Mike standing behind her, as she looked around in a panic. It was in her head, nothing was in the bathroom or around her. She was safe... she did her business, and walked back out into the main room.

Rose was stopped again as she looked into the mirror on the wall next to the front door— she saw Mike again, and jumped. Her squeal causing Sam to wake up, she was breathing heavily as he stirred from his sleep.

"Babe?" He mumbled.

"Oh.. sweetie, I'm sorry to wake you! I just.. uhm, thought I saw Mike.. in the mirror." She laughed at how silly she sounded. "Wow.. that sounds so dumb." Rose walked back to the couch and sat next to Sam who was smiling carefully at her.

"It's not dumb, he's still in your head.. it'll be okay." Sam said as he kissed her head.

"Do you think I'm crazy??"

"No.. not at all my love!" He pulled her into a hug. "I love you."

"I love you too."
———————————————————————
As Rose and Sam got ready for bed, the clock on the stove read 11:30pm.

"Shit.. I am way to old to be up this late," Sam laughed.

"Babe.. you're only 35!"

"Which is older than you," Sam poked Rose's nose as he pulled her in for a kiss. "I love you."

"And I love you, Sam. So so much. For the first time in years, I know I'm loved. And I feel safe." Rose replied, her eyes tear filled as she looked at Sam with pure love. "And I wouldn't be pregnant if I wasn't with you... and I'm so glad it's you." She sniffed.

"Me too baby," Sam sniffed back.

The duo shut down their tv, turned off the remaining lights, and went to get ready for bed. Sam stripped down to his boxers, and Rose took off her sweatpants, as they undid their bed makings before they crawled under them.

Sam always fell asleep so much quicker than Rose— she was always jealous of this trait of his. While Rose lay awake in their plush queen-sized bed, she couldn't help but think about what happened with Sam and Mike.

Would Mike really have used that gun? Who would he have shot? These thoughts raced in her mind for what seemed like hours before she shut them down, and drifted off to sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"He has nothing to do with this..."

"Oh.. he has everything to do with this, darling!"

"Don't.. Mike.. don't please!"

*bang*... "Sam! Nooo! Mike.. fuck you!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rose shot up from her slumber and gasped for air, clutching her chest and head in fear.

"Fuck him.." Rose said of her ex-husband, still trying to catch her breath. She turned to look at Sam, who was breathing normally, soundly sleeping away. Relief rushed over her when she finally wrapped her head around it just being a nightmare.

Rose hated Mike for making her this way. She was safe now, and she wasn't going to let him take that away from her— she was in control now. She had her life back, and it was hers alone.