Always Watching

It was Sunday, and Sam and Rose prepared to head out for their weekly jaunt around Prospect Park.

The sun was shining brightly this morning, though the sky overhead was cloudy. The breeze was warm as it gently rustled the leaves in the trees, the feeling sending goosebumps down Rose's arms.

"Babe? Can we go that way today? Change it up?" Sam asked as he pointed toward the left side of the park.

"Of course!" Rose replied, grabbing his hand. The couple walked into park, after stopping to pet a dog.

As Rose fell slightly behind Sam on the walk, she noticed the sun shining down on him through the breaks in the trees. It illuminated his dark hair, and handsome features. She felt the butterflies again; she was very much in love. Seeing him smile at a lone chipmunk, and laugh at himself when he tripped over a pinecone, put her mind at ease. This is what love is supposed to be.

As her warm smile was transfixed on her handsome boyfriend, she caught a glimpse of a figure standing on the other side of the fence, a figure that made her gasp, and nearly pass out.

"SAM!" She called with a panic stricken tone, the same tone a mother who lost their child might use, or a devoted pet owner might use when their pet breaks free of their leash or gets out of the house.

Everyone around looked in her direction as she stood at stared toward the figure on the other side of the fence.

Sam ran up to her, "what's wrong baby?!" He grabbed her hands and looked deep into her eyes.

Rose couldn't articulate, so she just pointed towards the fence.

Sure enough, Mike stood beyond the black metal fence, staring at Rose & her slightly visible baby bump. Sam followed her gaze, and saw him too. He ran over to the fence, that was only slightly taller than waist-high, and pulled Mike up by the collar of his black coat.

"Leave my girlfriend alone, you prick! Or I swear to god.. I'll kill ya!" Sam said as he starred into Mike's eyes.

"Babe.. babe.." Rose said as she jogged over to her lover. Sam's hands were gripped tightly on the lapel of Mike's black dress coat, sweat forming on his brow. "Samuel.. let it go. People are staring.." she placed a loving hand on his tense forearm.

"Listen to her.." Mike sneered as he looked Rose up and down. "She always did have a good mouth.."

"WATCH YOUR GOD DAMN MOUTH!" Sam raised his voice and dug his fists tighter into the lapel.

"Has she shown you all her mouth is good for?" Mike winked at Rose, causing her to instantly look away.

"LISTEN YOU PIECE OF SHIT!" Sam lowered his tone and dropped his hands when he noticed the police officers down the street had gotten closer. "You even so much as THINK about her again, and you're gonna have to deal with me! And I promise you, you don't want that. Prick." Sam ended the conversation with a shove.

Sam grabbed Rose's hand and the two continued on their journey.

"What a fucking asshole!" Sam huffed. "So sorry baby.. I know you hate scenes like that, but that prick had it coming." He pulled her closer and kissed the top of her head.

"No, it's okay. He really did, but I just didn't want you to get in trouble with the cops watching and this age of everyone recording everything and shit," Rose replied. "Thank you for that though.. I love you."

Sam stopped his walked and turned to look at Rose, "I love you."
———————————————————————
The couple's walk was nearly complete. The sun had risen higher in the sky, and more wildlife had awoken to greet the day. The birds seemed to welcome the feeling of the cool fall breeze.

As Rose stepped on a crunchy looking leaf, she looked up ahead and saw Mike standing on the other side of the fence again, so she turned to grab Sam to tell him, but when they both turned back around, Mike was gone.

"What honey? I was just looking at this sweet looking dog over there!" Sam chuckled.

"Huh? Oh nothing.. just thought I saw another dog..  but uh, it wasn't as cool as that one." Rose chuckled. She assumed it was just her mind fucking with her again.

"You sure? You seem freaked out.." Sam said as he looked at her.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine honey! Let's head home, I'm hungry!"

Sam grabbed her hand and the two of them continued their walk through the ladder half of the park and headed for home.

Before they rounded the last bend, Rose looked back toward the spot she saw Mike at.. nothing. He wasn't anywhere to be seen.