Chapter 8

Sorry for slow update times lately, im really not feeling this story and i have college apps to finish :(

---------------------------------------

Chapter 8

Lighting gracefully on the balcony, Emma arrived home. Home. She had never really thought of the palace as her home until she met David. Weird, she mused as she stepped off the railing and shifted back into human form.

"Emma!" a choked cry came from within the room. A curtain hung across the entrance to the balcony, so she couldn't see who was in the room, but she knew it was David that had called out to her. Her intuition was confirmed when David burst through and pulled Emma into a crushing hug before she could say a word. "I thought-- I didn't know what to think."

Emma wriggled her arms into a more comfortable position wrapped around her mate's waist as she smoothed the tense muscles in his back. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "I'll never leave again."

"I was so, so worried... I wouldn't be able to last without you," David groaned. He pulled back momentarily and held her at arm's length. "Look, let's start over. Forget about everything. We need to be a united leading force for the kingdom. That means you need to be queen, so let's move up the coronation, the mating ceremony--"

"Wait, I need to say something first," Emma shushed David, who was refreshingly flustered and babbling. "When I was flying... I found a human army encampment."

"What?!" David's gorgeous eyes widened and she had to scold herself to keep her mind on track. "Did they hurt you?"

He twisted her around by the shoulders, trying to fiure out where she was fatally wounded. "David," Emma wailed helplessly as she was tossed around. "Stop! I'm not hurt."

"Oh," he stopped, much to her relief. "Okay, go on."

"They're in the forest, closer than they should be," Emma said. "And they want to attack by the end of the month."

"What?" David groaned and spun away from Emma, running a hand through his hair. "This is bad, this is really bad."

"Did I just hear right? The humans are attacking this month?" King Alexei pushed the curtain aside, striding onto the balcony with purpose.

"Hey... This is our private chamber," David glared. "Get out."

"Well," the queen joined the three monarchs under the night sky. "That's not nice. Are you sure you heard correctly, Emma?"

"Yes, I'm sure," Emma said quietly, her inhibitions sneaking up on her once more. The vampires had a way of making that happen. But then, so did a lot of things. "There was this general, and a messenger came to tell him that the cannons were ready."

"We need to revise our plans. This can be turned to our advantage," David stopped pacing to lean on the rail. "They were probably going to use the advantage of surprise, but now they don't have that. And now we know where their camp is, so we can take measures to weaken their soldiers."

"Yes, true," Alexei drawled, examining his lethal, pointed nails. "I suppose without poisoning a few water barrels and food crates we won't last long. And perhaps a few spikes driven into cannons will help."

"Oh, that sounds like a fun job for a few dogs, or even monkeys," Petrova clapped her hands. "Oh wait, you're already animals of some sort, aren't you?"

"Enough with the sarcasm," David glared at the two vampires, who only offered impish smiles in return. "We need to make this work, or your manicures -- along with your heads -- are gone."

Petrova sighed. "Fine, let's get serious. We need to present a 'happy little family' picture to our people; this alliance must appear flawless. Also, some propaganda wouldn't hurt."

Emma and David gave her astonished looks. "What? Look, we've got a country to save from the humans too," she said defensively. "So don't take that as a sign that we like you."

"Okay, whatever you say," David smiled. "I'll remember that on the battlefield."

 Petrova harrumphed delicately and swept her robes around her as she strutted out. Alexei tipped an imaginary hat and followed.

David gently took Emma's arm and led her into the room, sitting her down on the bed. "Look," he started, but paused, looking for a way to continue. "I... I don't know how to say this, but... I think it would be-- No, that's not good. Look, I'll put this bluntly. I think we should be completely mated before the humans attack."

"I agree," Emma said, placing a hand on David's chest. "It would be for the best. And besides... I realized something while I was gone. I really, really adore you."

David gulped as he looked down at Emma's hand. "I really adore you too," he raised his eyes to meet Emma's. "Um, the battle will be in two weeks, so that doesn't give us a lot of time... The last time we can safely have a mating ceremony is one week from now."

"Let's do it in two days," Emma leaned towards David, giving into the urge that had been plaguing her bold hidden self, the version of Emma that had been showing more and more lately.

"Wait," he gulped. "A mating ceremony takes place 48 hours after... After..."

He trailed off as Emma stood and ran the fingers of one hand through his hair as the other hand undid the buttons of her shirt. "That's the point, David," she whispered into his ear, his pulse rocketing upwards. "Let's be normal mates today, hm?"

"Good idea," David growled as he flipped her over.

-----------------------------------------

Annnnd then they do the nasty. I am extremely unwilling to write a restricted chapter lol but if enough people want it i will? im not putting myself through writing a chapter like that if nobody wants to read it.