Chapter 3

Ok I don't know about you all, but I actually really don't like Emma as a person LOL. I know someone like her and boy, she annoys me. I wasn't thinking about her when I made up Emma though, but yeah... oops.

As always, show some love <3

------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 3

The party rode into the castle courtyard, stablehands rushing up to grab the reins of David's mount as he smoothly swung his leg over its haunches to step down. He grabbed Emma's waist to lift her down. She yelped in surprise at the sudden movement and clung to his broad shoulders. 

He smirked at her reaction, causing her to blush. "Come, let's talk in private," he said seriously, the smile disappearing from his face. Emma gulped. She sincerely hoped that she hadn't upset him. But of course she had. She ran away, made him chase after her, and all after an argument, to put the cherry on top.

Pulling her into their bedroom, David sat Emma on the edge of the canopy bed and looked at her tenderly. She teared up. "I'm sorry," she said in a small voice. Emma hated feeling weak like she did now, but it happened all too often.

"Don't be," David admonished, pulling her into a hug. He held her at arm's length, warm hands reassuringly on her shoulders. "Look, I was taught how to rule by my father. He wasn't the best of men. You know my mother, the queen, died a long time ago, right? My father never quite recovered, so I grew up with very little warmth."

Frowning, Emma put her hand on his leg reassuringly and rubbed soothing circles. His lean muscles stiffened under her hand, making her stop and look up. His eyes were intense, staring lustfullyinto hers, and she blushed as she realized her effect on David. "Little mate, if you want our discussion to continue, you're going to have to stop rubbing my thigh," he chuckled. Emma stopped.

"Anyways," he continued, shooting her an amused look before his eyes stared wistfully out the window. "After you left, I realized a couple things.

"One," his voice cracked and he swallowed nervously, "I can't bear being separated from you. Two, being with you means that I have to listen to you. And three, listening to you involves making you my Queen, the other half of the rulership. So... uh. What I've been getting at is that... I hope you'll stay and put up with me. I heard some of your conversation with your mom and that's what triggered the third part of that revelation but uh... Yeah.

"And um, I would have gotten a ring but I couldn't get one on such short notice, so I made one out of grass. Uh... Will you, Emma, stay and be my mate?" he pulled out a little grass ring with a sloppy knot holding it together. She was actually impressed that he was able to make the small thing with his large fingers. Suddenly, an image of David and his tall frame hunkered down in the grass trying to make the grass invaded her mind. Don't laugh, Emma, she scolded herself.

He looked so earnest right then, holding his little grass ring, that Emma almost did burst out laughing. Thankfully, she resisted the urge and wrapped her arms around her mate, jumping into his lap. "Yes," she murmured happily into his ear. He smiled into the side of her head, inhaling her scent as she did his. 

They pulled apart and David maneuvered the ring onto her finger. "Thank the gods it fits," he muttered in relief. "It's hard to estimate finger size with grass."

She could no longer hold in her laughter. Emma clutched her sides as she gave in to a fit of giggles that only worsened so that she could barely breathe as David's expression mimicked that of a petulant child. "There's nothing funny about this," he grumbled, but slowly he chuckled as well. How could he not be happy? His arms were wrapped around his happy mate, who was straddling his lap. He almost wished that all the fabric of her dress was gone so that her legs would be bare on his...

Emma, as she was hugging David tightly, noticed something growing between her and David. She looked down and saw a bulge in his trousers. Her face erupted in the mightiest of blushes. "Um, down boy?" she said, hoping David would calm down so the awkward situation would disappear. Thankfully it worked, but at her expense as David boomed in laughter.

After he calmed down, he gave her another intense, lustful look and said, "You know, I am your mate so you're going to have to deal with this more from now on." He waggled his eyebrows.

"No!" Emma gasped, shocked. "David, how indecent! I am a lady, I'll have you know, so before you get into my skirts we're going to have to know each other much better."

"Really?" David loved seeing his mate so relaxed around him. She was usually so quiet, and while David loved that about her, sometimes it worried him how meek she was in public. After all, she was the future Queen. Queens, especially those of the Shifter world, were strong and independent. But after seeing his mate like this, he was sure that in time, Emma's confidence would grow. "Well then, let's get started. What's your favorite food?"

"Hm," Emma thought for a moment. She didn't have much experience with food, especially the kind of food that David ate. The servants spent a lot of time around luxurious food, but never got to sample it. All she had to go off of were the meals she'd had at the castle thus far as the king's mate.

The thought sobered her a bit. She and David were from two different worlds, her experiences couldn't compare to his. he was born into ruling and kingship, while she had no experience beyond ordering the cat, Mr. Prince, around when she was ten years old. Her smile fell, and she could tell David had noticed. How could he not, when they were so close together? Emma put a little distance between them, scooting backwards on his lap.

But David pulled her in again. "I can tell you worry, mate," he said, his head resting on her shoulder. Her hands griipped his muscled back tightly, seeking an anchor to combat the turbulent sea of emotions in her body. "Tell me what's wrong, I can help."

"How can I be a good Queen for you," she whispered, needing reassurance. "I was a servant just a few weeks ago, I grew up in a shack... I don't fit in here."

"Oh Emma," David groaned. "You don't fit in at the moment. But you will. I know you'll adapt because you've taken care of a sick mother by coming to work far away from home at the palace. I know you'll fit in just fine because while you think you're weak, the nobles already love you because you stood up to me while I was angry. I know you can do this because you're my mate, the Fates made this happen because you were meant to be the Queen."

Emma blinked away tears. Oh David, she thought, how can you be so sweet to me and not to others? "Thank you," she managed to croak. 

David looked down at his mate, beautiful despite her red, puffy eyes. She was so small and light in his arms, probably because she was an Avian. An Avian mated to a Werewolf, how unusual. But he knew they were perfect for each other. She would sooth the harsh edges of his rule, and he would help her gain the inner strength she needed. It wouldn't be easy, but he would try.

He knew in that moment that he would do anything for his mate. Granted, he didn't love her yet, but she took his breath away with everything she did, she was so beautiful. He doubted they would grow to love each other soon, they knew too little of each other for anything other than physical attraction to develop for now. But if Emma was in danger, his dear mate, his first instinct would be to protect her. David knew Emma felt the same.

They would work through this together. Revelation filled both of their eyes as they both realized the same thing. Caught in the moment, David didn't hear what his mate said when she moved her lips.

"What did you say?" he frowned.

"My favorite food so far is the roast lamb," she mumbled, looking down sheepishly. David laughed and held her close, his inner wolf's tail thumping with pleasure.

------------------------------------

Remember, show some love ^_^